View Single Post
Desolation Denizen
1. End of Evangelion

And the first film on the list is an anime... oh my! This is probably my favorite movie ever, and for anyone not familiar with the concept of the series, it's essentially a deconstruction (I really seem to like these things...) of mecha anime and the triumph of spirited young people in the face of overwhelming adversity.

A horrifying psychological exploration of a tormented, traumatized, unstable young boy, the film is absolutely bursting with (rather disturbing) symbolism ranging from occult Judeo-Christian lore, psycho-sexual Freudian metaphors, and a few moments of postmodern mimesis that present the dissolution of a human mind in a manner that is nothing short of exhausting to watch.

I've only seen it once, and I'm honestly not sure I could bare to watch it again. The experience of it is just so overwhelming, but it is absolutely a "must watch" to me, I've never encountered anything else like it. Watching it, you can just feel your subconscious being spoken to directly, even while your conscious brain is reeling in confusion and horror.

The rest of the Evangelion series I could take or leave, but this film in particular is a masterpiece.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 01-29-2014, 02:35 AM Reply With Quote