View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #37  
Heaven
Katarina took another large swig of her beer. It wasn't often she got out for a drink, and she'd ordered the largest mug they had – and it was already almost gone. Her belly was full and she was beginning to feel the effects. Tipsy. It was a good place to be. “Well, lucky for us, we have time. My rent is already paid for the month, and once we start hunting we'll be doing just fine as far as finances go!” She moved behind her friend to get closer to Luka and put her hand on his shoulder, “I understand that death is hard to grapple with, especially if it was sudden. Mine was and I was a wreck when I first got here. It took me months to swallow my cowardice and get to the Border.”

Sage leaned back, “I was ready for my death. In fact, I was ready and waiting. I guess I'm in a pretty good spot. The sacrifice sucked, but look!” he waved his hand, turning his wrist and grinning, “No tubes! I feel better than I ever did in the mortal realm. I just wish I could have actually enjoyed my first drink...”

Katarina smiled, “Well, I'm glad some of us had an easy transition. For the others, we're here for you, okay? And yes, Avani, that sounds splendid. I'm sure Sage is eager to see what he gave up food for, yes? Then follow me, and we'll be seeing you two later.”
Hell
Axle grinned and looked at the clock again. For the first time in a long while, he was excited to get off of work. His job at the Inferno wasn't needed, not technically. He made more than enough with his side activities to pay for what he needed to – and much more. He lived simply and earned plenty. The Inferno just gave him a reason to see people that he wasn't trying to kill. It eased his loneliness. Now, his empty apartment wouldn't be so hard to face. He had friends again. “It's no big. Trust me, I can swing it just fine. If you need another drink while we wait, I can put somethin' together for you.”

Olivia smiled. The redhead gave her vibes of a tough guy, but he seemed vulnerable around her, like his walls were more for show than anything, and that if she wanted to, if she really wanted to, she could scale them with ease. Her eyes drifted to the two he was speaking of and nodded, Do you know them? I would like to make more friends.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-20-2018, 07:17 PM Reply With Quote