View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Chidi watched with wide eyes as the bard downed her mug, marveling at the fact that it was she who was called the savage. "I can be as savage or as civilized as you need me to be, but clearly we have different tastes as to what constitutes 'atrocious.' I like it here. Yes, I wouldn't mind a different occupation, one with a bit less sweat, but Nanika takes care of us, and there's a roof over our head. I don't consider that atrocious in the least." Chidi was doing her best to sound civilized. She prided herself with being able to read her customers, and Nanika saw to it that the girls were educated so they'd be able to hold a conversation with nobles if need be. One of the girls was even able to marry up into nobility because of this, but Nanika never hoped for that. She only wanted to be able to afford a place of her own one day. "If you believe us Southern folk to be such savages, why are you here?"

Chidi blinked, "Well, I was going to ask, but it seems you've told me all of the important details. Why...why would you make a child do that to his own father? It sounds...Well, it sounds barbaric...."
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 05-07-2018, 01:22 AM Reply With Quote