View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #7  
“Of course we heard the stories; we're not deaf,” Emily shot back, folding her arms. “You don't have to come with us. But whatever the fuck it is that's spilling over into our world isn't gonna just go away. The stories are why we're going there, more than anything.”

Yoruba sighed, taking a seat. While they were in this place that Anna called a “home” they were relatively safe, and while her guard wasn't completely down she could at least rest here, “Emily's right. Unfortunately. Something led to there being hoards of super-natural beings whether it's a portal or someone who knows how the hell this works. If the stories are true about Denver, it's a good place to start looking.” She shook her head, squeezing the bridge of her nose, “I don't want to do this either, but if humanity wants to have a prayer for survival someone has to do something. And at this point? None of us have anything to lose. At the very least, we can start categorizing the monsters, figuring out weak points and making that shit known; give people a fighting chance, you know?”

Emily nodded, running her fingers on the hilt of her sword and bit her lower lip. They were lofty goals, but they were goals that she was supposed to complete with Victor. He never questioned it. He knew the risks and was willing to take them so long as Emily was by his side. And she was willing to be, so long as he was by hers. But all of that was gone now...Victor...was gone now. “As I said. We don't expect you to go on this suicide mission with us, but if it's possible that we can use this as a safe house if we ever make it back out, we both would be grateful.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-09-2018, 03:59 PM Reply With Quote