View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #5  
Emily pressed her lips into a thin line, not wanting to talk about why they'd chosen Denver. After all, it was her idea to go through there so she could see her childhood home. They'd wanted to see firsthand what was in the cites and document it. Scientists to a degree, though they were more like field scientists than any that lived their days in a lab.

Yoruba, knowing Emily like the back of her hand, spoke up, "Emily was from Denver. There's probably more reasons that you don't ever want to know as to why she wanted to go in there. But the plan was to see it and then trek West if only to keep moving." Yoruba cast an uneasy glance Emily's way. Victor's death didn't impact her like it impacted the others, and she feared that it was too obvious. It wasn't that she hated him. She didn't. But of the party members, he was the one she found herself disagreeing with him the most, and she couldn't help but feel a little guilty about that.

"I lived that Lovecraftian nightmare," Emily murmured, "I just need to see what's left. That's all." She kept her head bowed, just wanting to sleep and separate the days between Victor's death and them, praying that with time those wounds would heal.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-07-2018, 03:39 AM Reply With Quote