Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #87  
A new game for the list:

Diminishing Lands
, my submission for Ludum Dare 38!

Like LD36, this is... not the game I set out to make. We got screwed on the theme again and it was really hard to maintain motivation. But it IS a game, and it DOES contain a bunch of code that I'm proud of.

We didn't have an artist on the team this time, so we set out up front to work with stuff that I could get from OpenGameArt or pixel myself. This was most definitely the right choice, because I was able to make new sprites for the character on my own as the need arose instead of being blocked waiting on the artist.

I'm proud of how good the controls turned out. It's super fluid. The dynamic nature of the levels turned out WAY better than I expected -- I didn't know it would look that good.

There are a couple ways I might end up taking this game if I revisit it going forward -- this could end up as two separate games in the end.

One of them would involve shrinking down to go into ant tunnels to combat an infestation. Those levels would be autogenerated but wouldn't dynamically change while you're in them, and it would be a fairly standard platformer.

The other is to take this experience and run with it, fleshing out the frame story, adding an overworld, making other kinds of levels and sort of going in a Super Mario Galaxy direction with it.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 04-24-2017, 10:38 PM Reply With Quote