Thread: Weird Religions
View Single Post
Dazed
Default   #35  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawtan View Post
A plausible mechanism of the alien abductions (and other mythical based culture-based mental illnesses could be as a way to alleviate cognitive dissonance. The brain often goes to great extents of contradiction, compromise, and self-delusion to avoid the pain of holding contradicting thoughts/ideals. An example being in the Salem Witch Trials (at least by my interpretation of events) where the culture there made it more acceptable to accuse an African woman (and others) of witchcraft rather than be caught socializing with her (or having relationships with others). The girls would have tricked themselves into believing witchcraft made such "evil" things seem okay rather than question the values of their culture. (This also factors into the hostility seen in some areas today to modern ideas, and how activism/speech for those ideas can if handled poorly result in a more close-minded audience...though I may be going too far there.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from on the alien abduction area. Do you think trying to suppress their own ideals results in mental illness?
Old Posted 09-24-2015, 03:29 PM Reply With Quote