View Single Post
Developer
Default New Rig, Old Games   #1  
I Frankenputered together a computer so I could have something to play games on that wasn't an obsolete laptop with Intel graphics. This thing isn't AMAZING by any stretch, but it's solid:

* Late 2012 Intel i5 CPU, overclocked
* Nvidia GTX 960 video card
* 8GB RAM
* 1.25TB total hard drive space
* DVD burner
* SD card reader

The only parts I purchased for this build were a new case (because none of the cases I have lying around fit the motherboard I had lying around) and a new power supply (because the power supplies I have lying around don't have enough connectors to drive the GTX 960); everything else was stuff I scavenged out of older machines.

I cut a slot in one of the drive bay covers in order to have a nice mounting place for the SD card reader. To be honest I'm not sure I actually need it, but I HAD it so I figured I might as well install it. The DVD drive, on the other hand, is super important, because I have a bunch of old games on CD that I wanted to install now that I have a machine that can stream to my TV for living room gaming.

Some of the older games worth commenting on:
* Excelsior Phase I (1993)
* System Shock (1994)
* Descent (1995)
* Terminal Velocity (1995)
* Sonic R (1998)
* System Shock 2 (1999)
* Touhou 7.5, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 12.3, 12.5, 12.8, 13.5, and 16 (2004-2017)

Sonic R was a pain to get running because it doesn't have a clue how to run on modern hardware and I had to patch it. Descent was easy to get going, but with some tinkering I actually was able to get it working in VR -- a game from 1995, with head-tracking stereoscopic virtual reality!

On the flip side, this system can run Overwatch at 70fps with the graphics settings turned up reasonably high.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote