View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #39  
Hell
Finished with his drink, Axle began to wash his glass, going so far as to polish it and place it back on the rack when he was done, laughing. “You can't hold your alcohol, so the first place you go when you die is to...a bar? And alright, alright, no more booze, but don't say I never did anything for ya.” Axle grabbed one of the empty glasses from the other two, moving to wash those as well wanting to just get up and walk out rather than focus on sidework when his replacement came in. “How long have I been in Hell? I guess that depends on what year it is in the land of the living. 2018? Yeah? Thirty-five years? Sounds about right. That long.” How long he'd been in Hell was one of the easy questions. The hard ones came when he had to explain why he was there (though most didn't bother asking him, just assuming someone who looked like him would end up there anyway) and events that happened once he got there.

Well, then it's worth a shot, isn't it? Olivia signed, her smile still radiant. It was the first time she'd smiled since she'd died, and she couldn't stop. Was this was “love at first sight” was? It would have to be sight Olivia thought to herself, I can't hear anything. Then she signed, You really think he could do that? What did he sacrifice?
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-21-2018, 10:55 PM Reply With Quote