View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #11  
Caught in a cycle of smiling, Raff laughed and scratched the back of his head, “Well, at least you have enough money to be considering buying a house. I'm stuck renting an apartment with el groucho over there. Gotta look at the bright side in times like this yeah?” He sipped from his own drink and could almost feel the mentioned one's eyes boring into him and, sipping from his drink, dared a glance. Seth's head wasn't even in an angle that he could feasibly look at him, and Raff almost sighed with relief. “Blockbuster, huh? That place is all that and a bag of chips. Go there every Friday. I thought you looked familiar!” Raff's appearance was one that showed a tough exterior only until you got him to talking. After that, once you remotely got to get to know him, he had an infectious smile and only the most optimistic of attitudes.

Down the bar, E'fie could sense it. She liked him exponentially more than her own bar tender, but perhaps it was best she got the one that she did. He smelled, and the scent wasn't one of body odor. It wasn't human, and he certainly wasn't one of her own. She wondered if the humans were able to pick up on it or not and quietly decided that they could not.

Seth was aware of the other presence in the room immediately. He lifted his head, followed by his eyebrows, recognizing a comrade when he saw her. The skin she chose to wear was hypnotizing, even for a human. She'd done well. He wouldn't make an effort to talk to her, however. She would have to come to him. It wasn't normal for a bartender to leave the bar, he'd told himself.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 08-27-2018, 08:44 PM Reply With Quote