View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #15  
Heaven
“It's understandable,” Sage said softly, looking down. He almost wished he could be shaken by his own death. But his was always there looming on the horizon, patiently waiting for him to come to it. It was expected. There was no shaking when death was the one stability in his life. “Would you believe it if I told you I am actually better off here than I ever was in life? I feel better than I ever did. I can walk. There's no tubes...no...beeping. It's crazy, but I feel alive more now than ever – if that isn't a bit of irony for you.”

Sage helped him to his feet and then he followed him onto the streets. They were in the slums. He'd seen the bright side of Heaven, and he knew that most of those there had built their wealth on the blood of demons. He wondered what it was like....what they would taste like. He shook the thought out of his head almost as soon as it'd arrived, but...once it was there, he couldn't deny it.

The bar was exactly what was expected in this part of town, minus the live band set up in the corner, which was a pleasant surprise. “You know, I've never seen a live band,” he mused out loud.
….
The bartender slide Kat her drink and began pouring Avani's hers and Kat laughed, “You know that schnapps is considered 'hard' right? But peach is the best flavor, or maybe mint if the day is cold.” She sighed, “I don't know if there ever was a cold day in Heaven though. You have to go to the Border to even get a slight chill, and then you're kept warm by constant activity. I always preferred the winter, and it seems that being a good person denied me of it.”

She took a drink of her beer, smacking her lips in a satisfied motion and nodded, “It might give me a chance to move out of the shithole I live in. It's only slightly better than those that they give to the newest angels. What about them?” Katarina asked, tossing her head in the direction of the two boys.

Sage lifted up his hand, “Something good for a first-timer?” The bartender raised his eyebrow and laughed, “First time drinking kid? I got somethin' for ya.” He poured two shots of vodka and set them on the counter in front of the boys.

Sage lifted his glass in a “cheers” motion and looked to Luka uncomfortably, “Bottom's up?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-09-2018, 10:41 PM Reply With Quote