View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #9  
Heaven
Sage nodded, slowly, mouth agape. He couldn't believe what was happening, “I think 'heard' is the wrong word, but yeah. I understand you. Your voice is in my head...I ah, I guess you gave up your voice? This is a nice way to get around the communication barrier, isn't it? Uh...just nod if I did understand correctly though, you're Luka, yeah?”

Sage stepped back from his doorway and gestured into his shitty apartment, “Well, Luka, it seems we both are freshly dead. I don't have friends, and if I did understand you correctly, you also don't. If you wanna, we can be each other's firsts? Come on in.” He opened his cupboards, remembering that he hadn't been grocery shopping. He had no snacks or treats to offer and he gave a dejected sigh, “I'm afraid I've nothing to offer. Food turns to ash now, so I haven't ah...well, you know.”
> > >
“Wonderful! Zen it is a date, erm, well, proverbially speaking that is,” Kat replied, color rising to her pale cheeks, “I'm also in dire need of...well...actual... friends. You don't mind heading to the Hall of Judgment, do you? I know it's looked down on in some circles, but turn-ins have been my primary source of income for a while now.” She lead the way to the Hall, having no fear about linking arms with her new accidental friend.

“You've been around a while, yes? What do you do? Do you hunt, or have you found a more tame occupation?”
Hell
“Yes. Friends,” Axle said, once again rolling his eyes. “You have this kind of money and you're still willing to drink well? I mean, suit yourself, but that doesn't sound like pleasure. It sounds like shit.” Still, he poured the drink and slid it over to him. “Enjoy your piss.”

His demeanor completely changed when he turned his attention to the lovely lady in the lab coat, “I didn't take you for a child, but I figured one is always better with a good glass of chocolate milk. If you'd like, I can dump some Kahlua in it to add some zip? It pairs well.”

Olivia turned when tapped on the shoulder, and caught sight of his lips only to catch the words “do you?” Her lips pressed in a thin line and not for the first time since her recent arrival did she regret her sacrifice. So this was the world that her parents lived in. One of silence and solitude. She saw his hands and brightened up immediately, downed her own drink, and nodded.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-06-2018, 02:55 AM Reply With Quote