View Single Post
Developer
Default   #7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
Believe me when I say I hate "AI art", the main reason being is that people are feeding it actual art from actual artists, thus they steal from actual artists with no consent what so ever and people are eating it up like it's super cool.

Please just support REAL artists instead of using AI. >:(

(And I really want to get back to doing art but with this AI trend my art is likely to get even more ignored than it has in the past, but then again I just do art for my own enjoyment anyway)

If these AI machines were making art from scratch I would find it more interesting.
The thing is, that's what I'm trying to say.

It's certainly possible to abuse a generator by intentionally TRYING to copy a specific artist's art. This is pretty blatantly unethical, and I'll stand right beside you in fighting against it.

But the big pretrained models DO make art from scratch, at least as much as any artist makes art from scratch. The fact that you can ask the model to create something in different styles and yet it's still clearly illustrating the same ideas is a pretty solid demonstration that it isn't just copy-pasting stuff. It's actually learned what, for example, a "dog" looks like, and it uses the skills it's learned by studying and practicing to be able to make something that looks like a dog.

(It's also learned that artists sign and/or watermark their works, so it tries to imitate that, too. This isn't evidence it's copying anyone's artwork -- it's evidence that it's learned how artists approach the process.)

So really, that's the distinction I'm trying to make. People use AI art in bad ways, but those fascinating, interesting, legitimate applications are there, and they're the reason the tools were created in the first place. People who are trying to rip off human artists are missing the point for their own selfish ends.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-17-2023, 04:24 PM Reply With Quote