View Single Post
Developer
Default   #21  
That's not placebo at all. It's psychosomatic in origin, yes, but it's very much a real effect -- relaxing your body really does relieve pain and nausea, and meditative techniques can relax your body. It's concrete and scientifically measurable with a well-understood mechanism of action.

Your choice of mantra is a personal thing. There's not a specific mantra that works best for everyone, but that's a good thing, because it means you can tailor your meditation to what helps you instead of bashing your head against someone else's meditation that they swear up and down works even though it doesn't do a thing for you. At one point in my life I actually used "owa tagu siam" as a mantra.

If it starts working better because I told you it's not placebo... well, that part might be placebo. ;) But it's definitely real.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM Reply With Quote