View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #39  
“I spoke nothing of female passions, however...” Chidi said wryly grinning. If she was the prey of a snake in that moment, she was blissfully unaware, seeing the conversation instead as a clever battle of wits. She knew not what sort of plans Tritonia had for her, but at this moment it didn't matter. She was seeing life outside of the city and her normal tasks shifted from being bent over various pieces of furniture to a life of adventuring. Despite how well Nanika took care of her, she couldn't argue with this sort of lifestyle – even if she did have to undergo occasional bouts of pain from Tritonia's bouts of temper. “Honestly? It can't be worse than some of the things I've been asked to wear. I love my body; I see no reason to hide it,” Chidi said with a shrug and a skip in her step, “As long it doesn't hurt me in any way, I see no reason why not.”

Whether it was the sunshine or the gentle breeze wafting over the plains making them look as they were a vast ocean, Chidi's spirits were high. Tritonia's triteness from earlier seemed to dissipate under the torrent of flattery that Chidi was accustoming herself to and she felt as though she might actually be figuring out how to make Tritonia tick in only the most positive of ways. “You wouldn't mind if I 'lost' your children? But then what would become of what would undoubtedly be – at least half – beautiful kids? I mean, surely, at least one would take after you in appearance. You're probably my most beautiful customer to date; it's a pity that you didn't request me in the more traditional sense.”

With that, Chidi raised her eyebrows at her master. It was true, Tritonia had been more keen to take Chidi home than anyone else, though there were one or two who simply offered to buy Chidi from Nanika. Nanika, however, was against slavery and that is what Chidi would have been had she actually been sold. At that time, Nanika simply told them that she could not sell what she did not own. Chidi was, after all, there on her own volition. This time was different, though, for a number of reasons. The first was pay. Pay was offered to Nanika and Chidi, though even then Nanika still did not want to get rid of her. But then there was the threat of physical violence that Tritonia had already more than shown she was capable. In that instance, Chidi was told to make her own choice – as if she really had one. “You have a strange way of showing affections,” she finally said, “I have to ask though, out of all of the whores in Frifta, why did you choose me? It is true I've had some clientele from high places, but I'm not the only one to boast that.”

Chidi shook her head. She had street smarts, sure, but those only extended to the inside of the walls of Frifta. Outside of those walls? Chidi knew close to nothing. She couldn't fight, but she could love. And she knew how to read. That was two steps higher than much of Frifta's population. Literacy was mostly reserved for the noblemen and the occasional noblewoman. Yet, here was a common whore able to read and bearing evidence of an actual decent education. “I'm afraid I know nothing of the Sons. I assume they are terrifying, but I've dealt with terrifying – what would you have me do when we encounter them?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM Reply With Quote