View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #35  
“I...did,” Chidi muttered, lowering her gaze. She'd never felt so low as she had in that moment, but then, at the time she felt completely justified in her reaction. She must not have been a “flight” person because her most basic, most animalistic response was to fight. That, at least, gave her a small amount of pride – but she'd had no control over her actions. “And I assume I'm to remain silent when meeting him? I don't think I'd be of much use in things that go way over my head.”

The smile was more of a relief than anything. Slowly but surely, Chidi was figuring out what made Tritonia tick and she hoped soon they could have a working relationship where Tritonia didn't feel the need to deride her every opportunity that presented itself. She found herself blushing at the prospect of being dressed like that anywhere but the brothel, but then, she'd been a sex worker so more than enough have seen her in leather outfits. Instead she asked with a raised eyebrow, “You're giving me a uniform now? For two hundred gold a week, I'd wear what you wanted me to, anyway, so dress me up.”

Tritonia seemed to be greatly motivated by wealth and Chidi wondered if that was part of the reason she was the way she was. “For what it's worth, I'm sure you'd make cute kids. Cute, sadistic kids,” Chidi said, chuckling a bit at the image, “You gave me a fixed sum of two hundred a week. I'll do all that you ask of me, but I certainly won't complain with less work.” She gave a nonchalant shrug, following behind obediently. Hell, if she was going to be forced into well paid labor, she might as well enjoy it.

Outside of the city, the countryside greeted Chidi with the best of fresh smells and she reflected this by breathing deep with her nose and beaming. “I never got to come out here. It's beautiful...” She shut her mouth to let her master speak to her eventually shaking her head, “Oh, no, no. I wouldn't expect you to match me with someone who's willing to pay you anything. I'm well aware of how low you believe me to be.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 12-20-2018, 02:29 AM Reply With Quote