View Single Post
Desolation Denizen
Default   #5  
I'm not sure you'd care for the sort of fantasy I like, from looking at your list, but I'll make some suggestions.

The Black Company series by Glen Cook. The first trilogy is the best, but they're all good. They're just... badass books. First-person chronicle of an elite mercenary company stuck way over their head in a war between godlike sorcerers. Lots of action and battles, some decent humor too.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. Only try this if you want a challenge and have a LOT of time to read. 10 books in all in the main series, first is Gardens of the Moon. It's my absolute favorite series. It is insanely epic, has hundreds of characters, takes place over 10 years, set in an extremely original world. Has pretty much everything -- action, drama, tragedy, humor, not to mention it focuses on characters from all walks of like, from slaves and peasants to mercenaries, soldiers, merchants, kings, heroes, and gods.

And, lastly, my other favorite series, the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. Extremely dark, extremely creepy, and "deep" fantasy. It's the closest thing to "literature" that the genre has ever produced. For an idea of what it's about, basically, take Middle-Earth, let Nietzsche re-invent it, set the historical First Crusade in it, then make the Anti-Christ the main character. Extremely compelling stuff here, but fair warning, it is not for everyone.

Oh, and of course, there's also George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, which is currently a series on HBO at the moment, but I don't really recommend it. It starts out really strong, but the later books are just awful. But, if you might be interested, it's a very "low" fantasy, hardly any magic until the later books, tons of political maneuvering, setting is very similar to our own historical Middle Age. If you've ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, the story is similar, just without all the magic, but with a lot more "adult" content *rolls eyes*
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM Reply With Quote