View Single Post
Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzerain of Sheol View Post
And I can babble endlessly about this (English major/Creative Writing minor). Going to stop myself now. :p

Edit: Also, if find some of those tips you linked to rather questionable. I very much advise to *not* turn to RPGs for inspiration for a plot. Even in the context of absolutely-needing-a-plot-and-I-can't-come-up-with-anything, that strikes as a terrible decision. RPG stories, for the most part, are not compatible with the storytelling required for a successful novel. Such books are almost inevitably the lowest common denominator of (usually) fantasy literature and aren't going to impress anyone worth impressing.

(I know that makes me sound like some ivory tower elitist, but I swear I'm not. I actually have a huge problem with "literature" and prefer fantasy above anything else, but only because I have faith that the genre can be more than what R.A. Salvatore makes it to be.)
I actually agree with a lot of these points, but I can pull of NaNoWriMo because it gives me a product to actually work with. I sit down, instead of thinking about and talking about things constantly, and I give myself something that, at the end of the month, I can perfect - or leave be, if I don't want to.

And I don't like using RPGs to write novels either, I actually think that's ridiculous. You wouldn't take a Pokemon game and write about it, would you? Well, maybe you would... but yes, I think that is not a good idea. Ignore those tips in favor of the other, superior, ones...

Anyway, I appreciate your opinion, and feel free to stick around and chat! A learned person like yourself could have much to offer even if you aren't doing NaNoWriMo. I'm a Creative Writing major too, heh heh.

As for chance... I really think that how well NaNo works depends on the person. As someone who has too many ideas floating around in the ether, this month gives me an opportunity to get some down and cemented in reality (or at least a word file!) rather than me losing it. As far as 'chance' goes, it depends on the writer in question. Different strategies will work for different people.

I do avatar art! PM me for the details.
Tumblr!
Doing NaNoWriMo? Visit the thread!
Last edited by Steam; 11-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old Posted 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote