View Single Post
We're all mad here.
I write as much out of habit as for purpose I think. Mainly I write poetry, short prose, and journal entries. I've been writing poetry since I was in grade one, and my journals, all hand written, span close to 20 years now. I didn't start writing prose seriously until early college actually though I tried many times before that to write a novel. I'm the kind of person who will write on any blank-ish space if I think I have something to write about and I have so many old school handouts or store reciepts hanging around because I have poem and story notes on them that I haven't transfered to another book or journal yet.

It probably comes from being ill for most of my childhood. Often I was stuck home from school and didn't always make it out of my bed so I took to writing things. I had five pen pals at one point and still write letters now (I pen pal with one of my university roommates who lives in Australia) I like e-mail for 'business' communications and such, but still prefer writing a letter if it's just to say hi. I even wrote several spoof plays based off of Disney movies or nursery rhymes when I was little and my friends and I acted some of them out for our parents.

I enjoy writing by hand, though when I'm working on a short story I usually do it on the computer to save having to type it out again if I decide to try for publication. It is a personal goal of mine to publish at least one short story, one poem, and one essay in my lifetime. I have managed the first two (small stuff, didn't get paid or anything) so I still need the essay, and one day I want to write a book though it's likely not going to be the novel I expected.

EDIT: forgot. I write original stuff mostly, and usualy in the light fantasy/supernatural/surreal end. I've recently taken to reading and writing fan fiction for the sake of working with familiar characters after a period of burnout with what I was working on. Might start moving back to my original stuff soon, hopefully.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-03-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old Posted 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM Reply With Quote