View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #29  
Tritonia's bored look spelled trouble for Chidi, but Chidi didn't know how to solve it. Not once since meeting her had she seen an actual smile come across the woman's face, and she had no way of knowing what she could do to please her. Chidi's future was contingent on pleasing her employer and she knew it. “It was my job, yes. But I can certainly say that I was admired. I can't say that I've seen as many as you'd probably assume. No many could afford my services – my wages were paid by the few that could. And of those, only about half of them were men,” Chidi answered deciding to be informative rather than snide.

Of course, Chidi was watching the body language of the bard carefully, trying to imagine her as one of her clients. So it made sense that when she noticed Tritonia examining her nails, she raised her eyebrows. When it came to clients that were similar to the bard, yet never quite as bad, she knew that above all they enjoyed to exercise power over another. If hiring her was her method of doing that, Chidi would be happy to oblige, “Your nails...I can clean them and keep them pristine for you if you wish – I have the experience. All you'd need to do is tell me what you'd want done, and I would do it.” After she spoke, she quickly bowed her head, waiting to see how Tritonia would take her proposition. Then, quietly but still audibly added, “Please remember that I am your employee and not your slave. I reserve the right to quit should you cause any bodily harm to me.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 09-07-2018, 03:30 PM Reply With Quote