View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #7  
Raphael blinked and looked down at the remainder of the woman's drink, now reduced to naught but a blue liquid ring lining the inside of the bottom of her glass. After clearing his throat, he looked to the gentleman he hadn't yet served, “Local beer, let's see. We've got I.P.A's, A.P.A's, dark beers, light beers – I need a bit of your taste. What are you feeling?” he gestured to the tabs in front of him. There were many options, and he knew that if “local beer” was all he had to go off of, there was a chance that there would be an unsatisfied customer – of course, leading to fewer tips.

Stephanie's eyes didn't leave her mimosa, the comforting orange liquid too quickly becoming sparse, and it wasn't long before she was tipping the glass back to get the last few drops. As she tipped her head back, attention momentarily diverted, Seth's eyes went to a corner of the room. Someone was there – one of his own – but she did not wish to make herself known. He would give no hints that she was there, but he wondered as to her methods. Was she there studying the culture and delving into the modern thought processes like he was? Watching from the outside seemed like a questionable method, but then, she could be from a different division as well. From Seth's view, his job was pointless. What was the reason they wanted to figure out the culture anyway? They had the firepower to wipe them out, but they seemed more interested in tearing it apart from the inside, which was where Setsi, or Seth, would come in.

Now, he was stuck serving to some weird girl in a bumpy hat with a lazy piece of shit as a coworker, and those that said coworker was dealing with didn't look much better. If anything, they looked worse. Seth found himself wishing that whoever this woman was, she would make himself known so that he could have some solace in the company he kept.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 07-08-2018, 01:09 PM Reply With Quote