View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #23  
Emily clenched her fists, shaking her head and looked down. “No,” she said, “No. This isn't your fault. That insane man would have found us whichever way you look at it. If it didn't happen then, it would have happened later.” If one listened closely, they'd notice the slight tremor in Emily's voice, and the undertones of anger and regret, “He's been hunting us since we were back East. Some sicko is paying him to take me back to marry him. What the hell he sees in me is beyond me, but the fucker threatened to kill Victor before. It might be part of the reason he left the rest of us alive. Women aren't a threat to him, apparently.”

Yoruba looked up from her drafting, turning to Emily, “You never told me any of this.” Her lips were pressed into a thin line and Emily could see that her fists were clenched.

“I thought he gave up. Victor and I left, we got far away and we thought he was gone forever. I was wrong,” Emily bowed her head. Yoruba stopped what she was doing and moved over, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“No. None of us can be blamed for Victor's death okay? None of us but that insane man. He'll get his. You'll see. He shows his ugly mug again, we'll kill him. If neither of you want to, I'd be happy to do the honors,” Yoruba muttered. “For now, go hunting with Anna. It might help clear your head.”

Emily nodded slowly, biting her lip, “Alright. Alright, I'll go. It's probably best we go in over stocked than under.”

“Damn right.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-20-2018, 06:31 PM Reply With Quote