View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
The conversation between Aren and Takahata was strained at best when it didn't fall into utter silence. Aren knew from experience that sometimes it was easier for the past to die if it wasn't spoken of, and he wasn't in a position to ask her to confide in him. Not yet. She barely knew him; the chances of her opening up to him were slim to none, and he'd seen her type before. Hell, he'd been her type before – if he wasn't still. So, he opted to open his book again and prayed that she'd say something to start a conversation.

She proved to be as quiet as he was, and the imagined tension in the air was thick until there was a knock at the door. Aren almost jumped to his feet, wondering who it could be. Officers coming to tell them of the mistake? Maybe? But, he didn't get to his feet fast enough and Takahata answered the door.

Takahata, used to looking up to most she came across, had her head tilted slightly up as she opened the door and she quickly adjusted her gaze so her brown eyes met Tristan's blue ones. She looked at him for a moment before stepping aside and gesturing into the apartment, “Yeah. He's here. Come on in.”

By the point, the book was closed again, hardly a paragraph read (and the paragraph read not really taken in) and moved to the side. He got to his feet again, pleasantly surprised with their visitor, “Tristan? Hey, what's up little man?” He didn't ask where his brother was. If Tristan was here to hang out with Aren, it was likely Aren went out again. “Oh! Uhm, Tristan, this is Taka...Takahata?” he stopped here to confirm the pronunciation and proceeded when she nodded her confirmation, “My uhm, my new roommate. Takahata, this is Tristan, my friend and student. I give him reading lessons.”

“You can call me Taka, if you want,” the small woman said, “It's what they used to call me. I'd answer to it and it's easier.” She shrugged and Aren nodded.

“Deal. That's...ah, a bit easier,” Aren said nodding. “So Tristan, were you coming for lessons or to hang out? I'm fine with either.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-18-2018, 03:39 PM Reply With Quote