View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
The scene was picturesque. The sun was shining and Aren had come prepared and set the chalkboard between them. They took turns copying letters and trying again. “Okay, we'll worry about grammar and stuff for later lessons, alright? Let's focus on word construction. You seem t'know most of the letters and their sounds, but did you know they can make different sounds in specific words based on the letters around it? Here, I'll give you an example.” He took the chalkboard and wrote the word 'chalk' on its surface.

“Okay, so if you tried to sound this word out, it would sound like calk or something like right? But check it, when a 'c' is with an 'h' it makes a 'ch' sound. So what does this word say knowing what you know now?” Aren was beaming when Tristan read the word correctly on the first try. “Good sh---stuff, my man!” Aren said, altering his language realizing that Tristan was still a kid for all intents and purposes.

He stood up, tilting his head not needing him to point out the smoke, “Something in another district? Should we go check it out?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-10-2018, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote