View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #9  
“It wasn't going to be a one step process. We didn't live this long being fucking dunderheads. We were going to scout and take it one or two steps at a time. No one would benefit if we charged in head first and died on our first excursion,” Emily said frankly, mildly annoyed at Anna's ignorance, though she knew it wasn't her fault. She'd never been with them during times of combat; she had no frame of reference for their abilities.

Yoruba's fists clenched and she brought one of them with some force back against the wall with a loud SLAM and she got to her feet, “You mean to tell me that fucker knew something the rest of us didn't and kept his fucking mouth shut?! He had valuable information the rest of us could have used and he carried it with him to the grave? For what purpose? What good does it do to keep things like that to yourself?!” Yoruba's jaw was clenched, and in her eyes, fire. But Victor wasn't there for her to take her anger out on so she stood there, fuming.

Emily placed her hand on Yoruba's shoulder in an attempt to calm her down. It worked, however little it did, “I don't know why he didn't tell us. I don't know if he didn't trust us or what, but it's not something we can help now. We have to get to Seattle, but if what Anna's saying is true, we have to find a way through the city if we want to even have even a prayer of making it to Seattle. This is what we're left with.” Emily sighed, hurt by the fact that he didn't tell them, but she took out his journal, resting her hand on its cover. Instead of saying anything else, she bowed her head and cried.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-09-2018, 06:19 PM Reply With Quote