View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #7  
Heaven
Sage had to adjust his gaze slightly lower to look at the man in the face. His eyes screamed discomfort, but he was trying, and Sage had to give that to him. He tried to make it easier by making his posture more casual and less formal when a voice started speaking in his head. “Luka? That's your name?” he said this without thinking, as the voice seemingly came from nowhere. The man on the opposite end of the doorway hadn't moved his lips. “I know this sounds crazy...You uh...didn't you didn't say anything, but I thought I heard a voice saying 'I'm Luka!' so I thought maybe? Does it have to do with your sacrifice?”

> > >

“Well, back when the user was alive, it caused invisibility, but they're dead, so now it's going to pay my rent,” Kat said with a laugh. “Speaking of, that's why I was in a hurry, but uh...if you'd like to come with me, you can. If you're new, I can show you around,” she gave a nonchalant shrug and shifted the shoulder bag's strap to a more comfortable position, dug in it for a moment and drew out a pad of sticky notes and a pen, quickly scribbling her phone number down. “If not, you can get a hold of me here. I'm looking for a new hunting party; the one I'm running with now doesn't seem to suit me.”
Hell
“At the Inferno, kid, we don't give a shit about our customers. We don't really need the cash,” Axle's black eyes betrayed no emotion, as if Red's words didn't even graze him. “You're aware they give you the number with each turn in, right? Or are you illiterate?” Axle rolled his eyes only to blink when there was suddenly another person there.

“This bill is big enough to buy several rounds, I think he can afford to get you something. Speaking of, Whitey ordered from the well. You sure you want that? You can afford top shelf with this kind of dough,” Axle pointed to the literal top shelf and wondered if this man even knew the difference between well whiskey and top shelf whiskey, but at this point he felt like he'd seen it all.

He snatched the bill from the table, slid back the change (not really expecting a tip, considering the service), and began mixing the new girl's drink, a chocolate milk, one of his specialties. “If you don't want it, I'll drink it and get you what you want, but there's no alcohol as per Red's request.” Here, he mock bowed to the boy.

Olivia meanwhile, could only read what the bartender was saying – he was the one that was facing her – and based on that half of the conversation, she could tell that shade was being thrown. She just wished she could have actually listened to it.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 06-06-2018, 01:40 AM Reply With Quote