Thread: Games by Coda
View Single Post
Developer
Default   #107  
No, I don't. I know of it because I came across it while looking through alternative game engines.

In general, though, I don't trust tools that claim to let you build games without writing any code.

The visual editor thing is still basically writing code, but without all of the nice advantages that actually working with real code provides. The concept is reasonably good for didactic use because you can focus on what's conceptually happening instead of having to learn syntax, and the limitations provide a useful structure to avoid paralysis.

But it doesn't scale. It's REALLY hard to share work in a team, and those limitations that make it easy to get started instead start really getting in your way when you try to go beyond the simple stuff it's good at. It's not a tool for professionals.

Depending on your learning style, it might even be counterproductive to pick it up. Some people have an easy time translating concepts across paradigms; for these people, a tool like Construct provides a useful introduction to the kinds of tools and functions that are necessary for game development. Switching to an actual professional-grade tool afterwards is a matter of figuring out how to do each piece of the task in the new environment.

But for other people, working with a tool like Construct teaches bad habits that become really hard to break. People in this group tie their knowledge tightly to their experiences, and switching tools leads to a cascading series of "this was so much easier before" moments because none of the learned techniques apply. I've seen people get too frustrated at this point and just give up.

Personally? I advise against it. But I don't begrudge people who it works for.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-09-2018, 07:48 PM Reply With Quote