View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
“You don't trust our healer?” Arabella asked, cocking an eyebrow and gratefully taking the jerky, promptly tearing off a bite. Of course she left her voice low so as to avoid any unwanted ears, but the surprise couldn't be hidden, “You know he's renowned for what he does, right? The pool of healers, admittedly, isn't large, but of them he's by far the biggest fish. We're fortunate to have him with us you know.” Arabella shrugged and tossed her head in the direction of the man they were speaking of, turning her eyes toward Christoval, “If you're talking about the drink, I disapprove as well. But his magic is effective and he hasn't let anyone die since, well? Long enough that I don't remember. He might have been green then.”

Arabella turned her attention to the barbarian who was a suitable distance from her, sighing with the relief the moment the sword was sheathed. She wasn't alone in that relief either. Kastivi and Percival felt it as well, more at ease without the threat of that thing tearing through their flesh. “Mm, I'll make it a point to walk with her then when we're back on the road,” she mused, tapping her chin. “Kastivi and my own adventures haven't led us through these parts often.”

Kastivi laced her fingers behind her head and looked back at the branches that hung over head, reveling in the soft breeze wafting through their leaves, “All the better then, I think. I prefer the cold. After adventuring further in the north, I don't know how I ever survived in the South. It feels less heavy, makes you feel more alive, doesn't it?” Wisp's threats earlier were still heavy on Kastivi's mind, but again, she was eager to make more friends than enemies, and she was clever enough to know that Wisp was not an enemy she could take. At least, certainly not yet. She laughed, “Christoval, you should listen to your Master. They often give valuable advice.”

Percival didn't expect to be followed. Judging from the goody two-shoes knight he was going to be dealing with, he assumed he might as well be traveling as a solitary pedestrian. The Dark Mage bending at the waist in front of him taking him off guard. The first thing he saw (though unintentionally) was cleavage, though his eyes only stayed there for a split second before he realized what he was looking at and he turned his gaze up to her eyes. It was in this moment that he felt her lips on his nose, his cheeks immediately turning a dark shade of crimson. “C-cute?” he asked, but she had already turned to head back to the rest of the group. Tugging at his collar and straightening his hat, he resumed his writing. He was on a very different kind of high now.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 04-07-2018, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote