View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Arabella succeeded in being dainty as she proceeded to break the loaf several more times, passing the pieces to the various members of the party. The adventuring life was for her, and nothing pleased her more than a short snack rest and looking forward to the rest of the day on her feet. The sights, the sounds of the wild were enticing for her. It was her main reason for leaving her comfy hole in pursuit of an education – an education that took place in the world of tall folk. She'd managed just fine, and succeeded despite her size. “It makes perfect sense, Waltz. This is the remnants of the bread that was given to me from the ranger of our last expedition. To me, it tastes like campfire and nights under the stars on the plains.” Arabella got to her feet, the second the sword was drawn she could feel it, so she moved to the other side of the camp.

Kastivi could feel it, too, and she knew why Ara moved away. She was glad she was this far away from the sword. Waltz spoke of it like it was a sentient being, and Kastivi wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was. She'd heard of weaponry of that nature before, but she knew that they were rare if they existed at all. “So where is it exactly that we're going? Is it far from here or close by?” she finally asked after recuperating from the initial shock of the aura of the sword. “I won't complain either way, but I'd like to know what kind of weather we'll be facing,” Kastivi said, laughing.

“Does it really matter to you, Kas? I've seen you travel through blizzards in nothing more than the garb you have now, and you were no worse for the wear,” Arabella said, snorting. It was true, too. Where other Daughters had to work to summon their energy, Kastivi was the exception. Her training consisted of repression rather than the actual summoning and she seemed far more comfortable in cold climates than she did in warm ones. She wondered how she lasted as long as she did in the southern nations.

Percival took his share of the loaf with a smile and a nod. After all, it wasn't Arabella that seemed to have it out for him. Turning back to Wisp, however, he took back his flask and put it back on his belt. He didn't drink from it, however, and he noted that she of course turned to her apprentice (who seemed to already hate him) for confirmation. Like hells he was going to turn to that twerp – unless he was going to heal him. He wasn't about to let his streak of no dead adventurers come to an end just because some self-righteous prick decided to piss him off. “That's fine, I can keep to myself,” he grumbled, taking a seat just off the path and opening one of his books, retrieving a quill and ink well from his breast pocket.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 04-02-2018, 05:43 PM Reply With Quote