View Single Post
Weaver of Webs
Default   #11  
Liam's face turned grim and his eyes moved from hers to a spot on the floor, “No, you would not be able to protect me. They are specifically trained to take the wretched creatures like myself off the planet and an innocent civilian would only get caught in the cross-fire should I linger. If a Hellsing appears, I must either flee or kill him.” Liam's eyes found hers again and he sighed, simultaneously amazed at her ready loyalty to a servant and aware of the fact that she had not yet seen the terrors they were capable of. “This is why I sought a position as a servant. In finding one willing human candidate to serve, we could form a sort of symbiotic relationship. I can lay low, and you can have your every want and need taken care of by your ardent and eager butler. Ideally, a Hellsing would never know I was here, or, if they did, that I was a vampire. They can only tell us apart if they catch a glimpse of our teeth, or bear witness to a feeding or use of one of our inhuman abilities.”

Liam was silent for a moment, briefly forgetting that Leona's hand still rest within his own. “I...have drafted a contract, yes. Similar to any contract you would sign for any of your in-house staff. The drafted contract can, of course, be altered should you find fault with it, but it also places restrictions on myself. I cannot take more blood than is safe for my master, and my master cannot disclose my status as a vampire to any.” He chuckled softly, “No, there is no fine print; I have no need to lead you astray. All conditions are printed and clear, and I will disclose answers to any question that you might have pertaining to myself; I will not lie.”

It seemed to Liam that his first employer was more perfect for him than he could have ever conceived. She was willing. Naive, perhaps, but one eager to begin a life with a vampire as a servant. He would do the best he could to ensure that it would be worth her while. Lifting Leona's wrist to his lips, he glanced up at her as if to be doubly sure, before pricking her flesh with the edge of one of his canines. Razor-sharp, it pierced through her flesh easily, but he was careful to not go deep. He just needed enough for a flow of blood.

Leona's blood was as the best and sweetest of aged wines, rich and teeming with flavor. Ah, had she an infinite amount of blood he could have gorged for hours. But he knew when to stop and before she could get faint headed, he pulled away, taking out a handkerchief, pressing it to the small opening and applied pressure. Her blood would coagulate there, later creating a scab, and eventually would heal completely. Licking his lips after his meal, Liam stepped back and tried to assess her condition before he asked, “Was that alright? How do you feel?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-09-2018, 07:07 PM Reply With Quote