View Single Post
Developer
Default   #37  
SUBJECT: Research Notes - Mark II Robot Masters
AUTHOR: Dr. Albert Wily
DATE: July 7, 20XX
FORMAT: Multiple Document Archive

Dr. Wily's research notes are quite expansive. There's far too much here for X or Dr. Cain to read through in one sitting, but there are several excerpts that are particularly eye-catching. Many of them are scans of handwritten documents made while analyzing the experiment data. Others are typed up semi-formally, possibly suggesting a refinement process.

DWN-012

DWN-012 programmed to recollect missed boomerangs, good for energy efficiency. But reaction to losing boomerangs was disproportional. Why? -> Interacted with AI in mock environment (see attachment). Identified dysfunctional mental associations:

Premises:
1) If I break things, Dr. Wily doesn't stop me from keeping them.
2) Getting things is a sign of approval.
3) Dr. Wily wants to destroy Mega Man.
4) Boomerangs break things.
5) Collecting boomerangs restores weapon energy.

Conclusions:
6) By contrapositive of (1), if I want to keep something, I should break it.
7) By syllogism of (1) and (4), boomerangs let me get things. Supported by (5).
8) By syllogism of (7) and (2), boomerangs lead to being praised. Therefore boomerangs are valuable.
9) By specialization of (6) with (3), Dr. Wily wants to keep Mega Man.
10) By analogy of (3) and (9), if I want to break something, that must mean I want to keep it.

Clearly, evolutionary fitness function needs to put more weight on validating logical consistency.

DWN-015

Second experimental trial of DWN-015 almost ended in disaster. Failed to prioritize my survival and success of the experiment over the secondary objective of halting DLN-001. AI simulation did not reproduce dysfunctional behavior. Hard to fix malfunction without data.

DWN-011, DWN-016

Have not yet recovered DWN-011 or DWN-016 after DLN-001 failed to destroy them. Security system on the warehouse level stopped recording after the cessation of weapons fire. I only know that they are still functioning but have left the fortress. Would like to know how they avoided destruction.

Not happy with DWN-011's performance. Very passive. Even worse than first experimental trial. Never tried to attack DLN-001, only acted to stop DWN-015. Better than nothing, as DWN-015's malfunction could have jeopardized everything.

DWN-016 also did not participate in combat except to stop DWN-015, but took charge of the situation immediately. Considering overall effect to be very positive despite initial appearance of passivity.

Green Light Projector

The prototype of the Green Light Projector was able to produce barriers almost immediately. However, the barriers that I was able to produce through exertion of my own mental focus were very weak. Even the weakest force produced by my testing apparatus was sufficient to disrupt the barriers.

To address this weakness, I experimented with energy storage devices. Full notes can be found in the attachments, but in the end I was able to develop a Wily effect capacitor to accumulate energy over time and release it at a high, controlled rate.

After installing a bank of these into the Green Light Projector, I was able to use my own mental focus to form the barrier that could then draw energy from the capacitors. Reinforced in this way, the barriers were capable of withstanding forces proportional to those seen in the Robot Master live-fire experiments.

To my surprise, the prototype was capable of deforming these barriers into complex shapes that can exert forces in addition to withstanding them. Less surprisingly, all objects created in this manner are uniformly green. Standard holographic projection technology does not appear to interfere with the functioning of the barrier, so if the monochromatic appearance of such a construct is an issue for an application, it can be concealed.

Unfortunately, the Wily effect capacitors take a long time to charge with just my own mind. Furthermore, while Wily effect energy can be used to power machinery designed for other energy sources, the converse does not appear to be true: Wily effect phenomena do not appear to be compatible with electrical, photonic, or radioactive power supplementation. In the long term I will need to develop a way to charge these more rapidly, or to charge them passively instead of requiring conscious attention.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 01-20-2018, 12:29 AM Reply With Quote