View Single Post
Developer
Default   #29  
SUBJECT: Encounter Log - Skull Fortress (excerpt)
AUTHOR: Rock [DLN-001]
DATE: July 2, 20XX
FORMAT: Holovid + Telemetry + Annotations

The computer isn't able to find any of Wily's recordings of what happens next, but Mega Man's own perspective is available from his encounter logs. After taking out Heat Man, Bubble Man has nervously hidden behind Wood Man, who has leveled a stern glare at Mega Man.

"You don't get it, do you?" Wood Man scowls and throws Mega Man an E-tank. Mega Man catches it, but he holds it up quizzically. Wood Man sighs, "Yes, it's an E-tank. No, it's not full of energy poison."

Mega Man runs a test on it anyway. The telemetry attached to the video shows the results; Wood Man is telling the truth. Mega Man connects the tank to a charging point concealed in his buster arm, and the rich source of energy allows his self-repair system to switch into high-speed mode. Condensed energy swells out from his reactor, forming a shell around the proper outlines of his armor, and a set of small interior focusing devices use the semisolid energy to break down damaged components and mold the materials back into the correct shape. It's a terribly power-inefficient process, but field repairs are never as good as proper maintenance in a robot shop.

"I guess I don't get it, then." Mega Man frowns.

"Dr. Wily isn't trying to rule the world or destroy it. He's a scientist, not a conqueror. He's trying to make the world BETTER."

"How does he make the world better by attacking civilian installations with war machines?"

"There weren't any human casualties in any of those operations. And you yourself participated in the property damage. If the news reports are to be believed, you even volunteered for it."

Mega Man scowls, silent for a moment. "That... doesn't answer the question, though."

"Fine, fine. Advancing science means testing hypotheses. For the good of the world, Dr. Wily is evaluating his theory by collecting real-world data in the field."

Mega Man starts to retort, then pauses, then slumps, scowling again, at a loss for words. Finally he shakes his head. "It's still not right. I can't let him keep bringing terror and destruction!"

Wood Man sighs and waves him along. "Go on. You'll see what I mean. I won't try to stop you. Nothing but suffering would come from that. Dr. Wily can show you the truth by himself."

Mega Man lowers his buster hesitantly and edges towards the elevator at the other end of the warehouse. As the elevator door opens, he notices Bubble Man starting to talk nervously to Wood Man, but he doesn't stop to listen... There's a mad scientist to stop.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-27-2017, 01:26 AM Reply With Quote