Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central Square (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Graying hairs...from the tips? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21801)

Espy 06-16-2016 07:46 PM

Graying hairs...from the tips?

...Yeah. That. I'm a bit weirded out. Granted, this is the longest my hair's been since maybe ten years ago, but it doesn't look unhealthy, and the tips that are graying aren't damaged or have split ends.

Shouldn't hair gray from the roots? -narrows eyes at strands of hair- ...I'm suspicious of you.

...I'm not even 25 yet. Why meee.

Tohopekaliga 06-16-2016 08:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, yeah. But my hair's never been more than 6" long.

That, and I've had at least a few grey hairs since I was 17.

SparX 06-16-2016 08:52 PM

Hey it's totally gonna be next years style watch and see espy your gonna be a trendsetter ;D

Glitch 06-16-2016 09:24 PM

I started getting some gray hairs in my bangs when i turned 22 :(

Tiva 06-16-2016 09:27 PM

Didn't you bleach your hair at one point? Maybe it is just left over from that?

Poggio 06-16-2016 11:00 PM

you sure its not paint?
Also I have had my gray hair since I was legal. They are currently blond right now since I dyed my hair with henna instead of out right color.

Fulkth 06-17-2016 10:14 AM

That's a very good question. My husband's hair is graying and he's only 27.
I try not to make fun of it too much in case he gets butthurt. XD

Lawtan 06-17-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiva (Post 1711152)

This was my thought.

To be honest, I've been losing hair since I was 16 due to stress.

Konzern 06-19-2016 11:17 AM

My sister is 16 and she has several gray hairs. Not in clumps or strands, but when brushing it you can notice the gray.

Of course, she's excited about it, so there's no complaining on her part. But the whole strand is gray, not just the tips.

Espy 06-19-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiva (Post 1711152)

Nope, not left over from that. My hair bleaches to a dark gold. This one was almost transparent silver. (Also, I'm pretty sure most of the bleached parts are long gone by now.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poggio (Post 1711189)
you sure its not paint?
Also I have had my gray hair since I was legal. They are currently blond right now since I dyed my hair with henna instead of out right color.

Definitely not paint, or any other art media :P Haven't done art for a...while.

Whoa, you can dye with henna? That's really interesting. How does that work? Why does it turn blond?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawtan (Post 1711374)
This was my thought.

To be honest, I've been losing hair since I was 16 due to stress.

DAMMIT LAW

...actually, I'm not one to talk. Haha. Hah. But yeah, I noticed that was pretty bad a couple years back, too. I think Vit B is supposed to help?

Poggio 06-19-2016 04:16 PM

@Espy: Because using henna, is like using Watercolor versus acrylic. It just a stain and takes a while to build up. I mostly use henna to strengthen my hair and naturally relax the curls I have. If you do it consistently over time, the color plus the layers will dye your hair a nice red auburn. Well at least me it is since my hair is naturally black, the gray strands dyed faster. But I haven't done it in months so it washed out to blonde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2KSno_mt7E

Lawtan 06-19-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espy (Post 1711996)
DAMMIT LAW

You'll forgive me for giggling like a loon at that.

From what I am seeing, it's something like "the stuff responsible for hair color died off, but were replenished/replaced."

Espy 06-19-2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poggio (Post 1712018)
@Espy: Because using henna, is like using Watercolor versus acrylic. It just a stain and takes a while to build up. I mostly use henna to strengthen my hair and naturally relax the curls I have. If you do it consistently over time, the color plus the layers will dye your hair a nice red auburn. Well at least me it is since my hair is naturally black, the gray strands dyed faster. But I haven't done it in months so it washed out to blonde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2KSno_mt7E

Ooh. My hair's naturally a dark, almost-black brown. I'm guess the henna won't have any effect unless I bleach first?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawtan (Post 1712051)
You'll forgive me for giggling like a loon at that.

From what I am seeing, it's something like "the stuff responsible for hair color died off, but were replenished/replaced."

Hm...but /why/?

Coda 06-19-2016 08:29 PM

If I had to guess:

When melanin breaks down, it loses its pigment. Living cells will regenerate the melanin when they get damaged (which is why people tan in the sun) but hair isn't made of living cells.

The longer your hair is, the more time the hair has to get damaged -- sunlight, shampoo, sweat, whatever. The oldest part of any given strand of hair is the tip.

So if you have the kind of genetics that would make your hair predisposed towards going gray, then your hair might do that even if you're still producing dark hair.

Lawtan 06-19-2016 08:36 PM

From an article I read while looking it up, it could be anything from a temporary nutrient deficit to the particulate matter in the air...

Edit: or what Coda said.

Espy 06-19-2016 10:21 PM

Huh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks.