Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Has a book ever made you cry? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912)

Suzerain of Sheol 05-19-2011 12:20 AM

Has a book ever made you cry?

(See title)

The only book I've ever shed tears over is Steven Erikson's Memories of Ice. There is a death in that book which is just cruel. My wall still has a dent in it from me throwing the book at it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, but damn it, I didn't see that one coming.

Come on, don't be shy, share your lachrymose literary experiences.

Quiet Man Cometh 05-19-2011 12:23 AM

Yes. Homeland, the part where Zaknafien is crying because believes Drizzt has become a killer like every drow child is doomed to be. I could even find the line, I`m sure.

Espy 05-19-2011 12:28 AM

Yeah, plenty, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Azrael 05-19-2011 12:57 AM

The Outsiders
Only book I've really /cried/ over. I've gotten choked up and teary a bit over some but I've flat out cried over that one.

Ashy 05-19-2011 01:00 AM

i dont think i ever have cried reading a book :P

Quiet Man Cometh 05-19-2011 01:31 AM

I've heard it was reall sad when Pony died. I never did finish the book though. I left school that year for my health and started English by correspondance and we read a different book instead, either "the Snow Goose" or "Stoney Creek Woman."

Azrael 05-19-2011 01:36 AM

Pony never died ._.'

Ashurato 05-19-2011 02:08 AM

Jane Eyre. The ending nearly killed me.

Ryuuoh 05-19-2011 02:26 AM

Jane Eyre and Of Mice and Men almost made me shed a tear. But I'm pretty close to heartless when it comes to books nd media so no, I've never actually cried at a book.

Quiet Man Cometh 05-19-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 665406)
Pony never died ._.'

Who did die then? Apparently someone did. One of the assignments I heard my sister had to do was to write a news artile about the death of a character, apparently saving someone from a housefire?

I've heard a lot of people comment that they liked The Outsiders but I never really was all that interested in it. I think part of that might be that I wasn't much for caring about the teenage condition and such. Didn't care much for Catcher in the Rye either, though I'll admit that Salinger is a good writer.

CupcakeDolly 05-19-2011 02:43 AM

I've cried a few times I'm sure, the first ever was when I was younger, when Tobias was forced to stay as a hawk in Animorphs.

Fey 05-19-2011 02:55 AM

I rarely cry, so I can't recall a book that's made me cry...well..not tears of sadness. I've cried angry tears from a couple of books.

Chi 05-19-2011 03:16 AM

The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein and The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy both made me cry.
The Invisible made me cry because of the whole 'forbidden love' factor. As for Hansel and Gretel, one of the scenes was really touching.

Sadrain 05-19-2011 10:42 AM

Hmm, quite a few have, actually. I remember I cried when I read "The Neverending Story" and books about animals, and my most favorite book: "The Last Elf" and it's 2 continuations. I think it just shows that book has a deeper meaning than just the top, and that it really touches you, leaves an impression. Same goes for movie. because if it's a serious book/movie, it is supposed to do that. So, it's no shame to cry.

Suzerain of Sheol 05-19-2011 11:37 AM

It isn't technically crying, but Donaldson's The Wounded Land had me feeling sick to my stomach and shaking when I started reading. I felt completely betrayed and devastated... which is exactly what he was trying to evoke with that book.

Other than that and the one I mentioned above, I don't usually get too emotional over books.

Saiyouri 05-19-2011 07:38 PM

╔═════════════════════════════════╗

(。◕‿◕。) The Anastasia Syndrome by Mary Higgins Clark was
the first book that ever made me cry. It
had the most depressing story ever in it.
But it was an amazing story though.

╚═════════════════════════════════╝