Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art & Writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   NaNoWriMo anyone? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9569)

Quiet Man Cometh 10-14-2016 03:58 AM

My best year was my first in 2013 with 24'000 words. The others I either forgot or burned myself out with daily writing in October.

I've entered a book this year as a story about my late dog, but I more plan to edit my first project so I can get something out. My sister-in-law wants me to make a book of my writing for posterity, to go with some of the stuff other family members have done. That might be my project. Not sure how far I'll actually get with the dog book.

trystan830 10-14-2016 04:00 PM

hey, 24,000 words is still pretty good!

have fun this year, too!

Coda 10-18-2016 10:19 PM

I'm pondering over trying again this year. I've got an idea that I want to write, but it's going to depend a lot on my time availability.

trystan830 10-18-2016 10:27 PM

pinky, are you pondering what i'm pondering?

i make the time if i have an idea. to the extent that i've completed all my chanukah crochet, and i'm pretty sure there's only three nights i have plans for. (and one is after my self-challenged deadline of Turkey Day XD )

edit: oops. a few more than three. but just don't tell my boss i write a lot of NaNo during the day...

SparX 10-19-2016 11:06 AM

I've been thinking of writing again, this may be a good chance for me to hop back in the groove....
OR never finish the story like I did last time, but I blame the computer crashing for that. It's not my fault I saved on chapter 3 and not 11.... >.>;

trystan830 10-19-2016 11:20 AM

go for it, SparX! add me as a writing buddy on the NaNo site - i'm just trystan over there. =)

SparX 10-19-2016 11:22 AM

I don't know if I ever joined the site, I think I was writing first then submitting since the librarian had handed me a sheet of paper with info on it...but this was also exactly 10 years ago XD
-goes to site to make an account-

trystan830 10-19-2016 11:28 AM

full disclosure: i'm a NaNo enabler. XD

Lawtan 10-19-2016 11:56 AM

...If I write, will folk hate me for what I write? (More correctly, will folk I actually care about hate me?)

trystan830 10-19-2016 11:59 AM

nope, i don't hate anyone for doing NaNo.... unless it's actual hate speech designed to be hate speech.

whatcha writing anyway?

Lawtan 10-19-2016 12:27 PM

Well, it ranges. Horror. Romance. Science Fiction. Historical Fantasy. Surrealism.

(Okay, it ranges from "Science Fiction Magic School Bus Undertale" to "furry creature hopping across surreal space and time" to "Silent Hill LGBT" to "stuff inspired by Studio Ghibli" to "Medieval Animorphs" to "time-reversing cephalopod civilization")

trystan830 10-19-2016 12:31 PM

that certainly is quite a range there, Law!

my story idea this year is a timey-wimey... err.... prequel to the story i wrote in 2014. the world in which it starts out is kinda dystopian, very technology-oriented, thanks to the TechRev. my main character is the catalyst for the Retro Movement, which is all over my story from 2014.

Lawtan 10-19-2016 12:38 PM

Retro Movement?

(The School bus one is sort of where things like "Goat Man", "SHADE - the totem", "UN - the Pipeline", "MORC the dragon train", and all come from...probably will work on that one)

trystan830 10-19-2016 12:47 PM

the story from 'Yours in time, Jacks' is set in various times in the future - ranging from 2246 to 2515. there's a lot of technology, very similar to what we have today. my one character, Janie (from 2246) would rather read an actual book than an ebook. there's still CDs, records, books, notebooks and the like because my ubiquitous Retro Movement is all over the place.

sure, there's seat belts that automatically fit into place when you close the door; there's AI assistants, memo apps, and email on tablets, home 'phones' that were the tech center of the home... as my one line says: 'If the Tech Movement had their way, nothing would ever be written on paper, books would be electronic, and we’d all have little screens following us around with our daily reminders.'

but the Retro Movement is based on everything happens in 20 year cycles, so that 'everything old is new again' =)

SparX 10-19-2016 06:41 PM

Ok. I got my account made, and I'm starting on my story outline. I'm kinda excited now =3

trystan830 10-19-2016 09:45 PM

yaaay SparX!

are you SparX on the site too?

told you i'm an enabler.... XD

SparX 10-19-2016 09:49 PM

I friended you. Sparx was already taken, so it's Sparxlette

I've spend the past 4 hours working on conflicts and base outlines and random notes =3

trystan830 10-19-2016 09:55 PM

yep, i added you back.

heee.... you're already a planner. i'm a pantser - big time. i write by the seat of my pants. well, i'll plan a little bit here and then a little bit there, and i kinda know where i want it to go. like - if i decide to take a road trip out to visit you... i know i want to go west, but i haven't decided which roads to take.

SparX 10-20-2016 11:59 AM

I need to know which direction my story is going and what are my main points. The extra details will be improvised, but I like to have a fleshed out backstory to each main character, random notes about the backstory of the planet or setting, just things to keep me guided on my path.
I thought at first I would be a plantser, but I didn't quite think I fit the description.

Currently I have all my major conflicts, story goals, and a bunch of random notes finished.

The below spoil is just a random note/backstory on the setting for what I'm thinking, because I kinda wanted to put in a little Climate change agenda in there XD

trystan830 10-20-2016 12:03 PM

yep, you sound like a planner to me.

this story has a bit more of my usual planning because i need it to connect to an establised story already. i have a google doc that i pasted a lot of my references from the previous story into, so i know what i wrote then. i'm awful at remembering things like that.

Lawtan 10-20-2016 12:05 PM

...not sure that contact with space can make a cold desert. (The Gobi Desert is a Cold Desert, so how that is the case makes for good research)

I sort of learn all I can, then just write...

SparX 10-20-2016 12:05 PM

PLAN YOURSELF TRYSTAN
FALL INTO THE PLANNERS TRAP
MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

edit: I was thinking of how mars can be described as a cold desert because of its lack of atmosphere.
I also need to figure out how the atmosphere was able to repair itself on earth (besides the fact we humans aren't there...really?) I needed a few to go underground after getting radiated(and mutated) from human wars so they can mutate into my elf clans over centuries XD

trystan830 10-20-2016 12:06 PM

nope... i write by the seat of my pants! XD

SparX 10-21-2016 12:06 PM

Gotta love latin to help you come up with names XD
Plannings taking longer then I thought, but I don't want to miss important details and feel the need to have at least a variety of things to pull from >.>
I hope to start actually writing by tomorrow or sunday.

Coda 10-21-2016 12:33 PM

I'm a hybrid. I need to have enough of a plan already laid out before I get started or I run out of things to write about and get writer's block, but if I have TOO much of a plan laid out I end up using up the whole outline before I have enough written and then I get stuck.

The first time I did NaNo, I had the main character involuntarily being transported through the multiverse and living out stories vaguely based on things I'd done with friends in the past. I was successful with this one, because I was always able to add more words by expanding on one of the settings or squeezing in another point into a story arc.

The second time, I had an ambitious plan to write a fictitious research paper based on a wizard's attempts to unravel the fundamental nature of magic, interspersed with notes from the translator that discovered the paper and translated it to English. I got off to a great start, but then I hit the wall once I got the meat of the idea explained and found myself 20k words short still. I had some big bullet points in my outline I hadn't covered yet, but I hit crunch time at work the week before Thanksgiving so I didn't have the motive power to push through it.

This time, if I do it, I'll be working in a crossover universe of a couple fandoms, so I'll have a TON of material to tap for inspiration, and I've been working on the plan for MONTHS in the back of my head. If I'm GOING to do this, though, I need to get that plan out of my head and into an outline. (Technically, I've kinda cheated because I wrote the prologue chapter already in a fit of inspiration, but that was before I even thought about NaNo. I may just not count the prologue in my word count to make it fair.)

trystan830 10-21-2016 01:10 PM

Writing starts November 1st. :D

SparX 10-21-2016 01:13 PM

-was under the impression you could start beforehand and put in word count starting november 1st-
Well I guess that means one more week and a half of fully fleshing out the details I will need >.>

trystan830 10-21-2016 05:11 PM

the first year i did NaNo, i got all excited and started mid-October too. as it turned out, there was a day that i didn't write at all that november, so that was the day i pasted what i'd previously written into my document and included it in my word count. XD

also, just a tip - if you write/type ANY words - single words, a phrase, a sentence, a whole paragraph - that you want to delete - DON'T. cut them, and paste them at the very end of your document. put them on a new page, maybe even grey them out. this is what's called a Word Graveyard (i forget where i heard the term from now) the thing is, you wrote those words during november, they're yours, and they should count. when you go to get your official NaNo word count (copy all (ctrl-a mostly) the words in your document and paste them in the word count validator on the NaNo site), they'll be in your word count, but not in the story. (my google docs from 2012-2014 still have my Word Graveyard in them too)

SparX 10-21-2016 06:44 PM

Interesting =O
I'm on page 3 of my outline right now as it is XD not sure that counts though =P
And thats a really nifty trick!

trystan830 10-21-2016 06:48 PM

i first heard of it in 2011, when i did my first NaNo.

outlines don't count towards your word count, but you can 'outline' as much as your little heart desires between now and nov 1. =)

Coda 10-22-2016 06:40 PM

The graveyard idea is sort of a gray area. >.> Yes, it's words you wrote during NaNo, but the goal is to write a 50,000-word novel, not to write 50,000 words in the process of writing a novel.

The time I succeeded was... I think 2001?

trystan830 10-23-2016 12:17 AM

by the time i was done with my 2011 NaNo there was no word graveyard. =)

i look at it more like i wrote those words intending for them to go in the novel, so i count them.

SparX 10-23-2016 09:28 AM

Everyone I've announced it to either looks at me like I'm nuts or goes... That isn't that big of a book....
Tells me a bit about the people surrounding me XD

trystan830 10-23-2016 01:25 PM

when i first did NaNo, i don't think too many people were surprised that i was doing it. i find most people are at one extreme or the other - 'oh, yeah, NaNo!' or '....what's that?' no one's like 'errr i heard of it, what is it?'

trystan830 10-26-2016 02:06 PM

just thought of this: in reference to the word graveyard - yes, the goal of NaNo is to write a novel. but also to write 50,000 words towards that novel.

my 2012 novel is the shortest one i wrote, totalling 51,151 words (google docs says 51068 words) - the novel itself is 50287 words (again, google docs) without the word graveyard (781 words). but it's a complete novel; i finished it, wrote ~fini~ on my last page.

compare that with my older daughter, who, in 2013, 'won' on November 30th with 52,325 words - but she wasn't done the story (that happened in april of 2014, with a total of 100,088 words.) so when she was done, she'd won with half a novel.

Coda, upthread you said 'the goal is to write a 50,000-word novel, not to write 50,000 words in the process of writing a novel' - but my older daughter won with, technically, '50,000 words in the process of writing a novel.'

i know you also said the word graveyard is/was a grey area, but it stuck with me, and now that it's unstuck, that's my rationale for using the word graveyard. =)

Coda 10-27-2016 02:17 PM

Well, the rules explicitly say the novel doesn't have to be DONE.

trystan830 10-27-2016 02:24 PM

heh yes, that is true. =)

SparX 10-27-2016 07:22 PM

Next week!
I have until next week to finish naming the important and side characters XD

Quiet Man Cometh 10-27-2016 07:29 PM

Going to the "local" (40 minute drive) kick-off tomorrow!

I'm going to stick with editing my first attempt. Not sure how I'll record the words, except to just take a current count of the document and then math it at the end of each essay-thing.

trystan830 10-27-2016 07:36 PM

i have my main character, the time she's from (2215), a few things about her time, and the big thing that she goes back in time to impact. i don't know what year she's going back to yet. (it'll be the future for us, though - 2030s maybe). yeah.