Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Club House (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Horrible Hobby Hangout - Join us for sweet tea and sewing! (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22153)

trystan830 07-17-2017 01:27 PM

i only crochet... but since i have two Stitch-n-Bitch groups, imma gonna confess i can tell of something is crocheted vs a knit stitch. i word it that way is that i can make something that looks like it was knitted with my crochet hook. XD

Kaderin Triste 07-17-2017 03:19 PM

Lol. Of course you can tell though, trystan, because you crochet!
XD
I can generally tell knitted work from crocheted work, but can't really tell loom knit from needle knit. Except when it comes to double-knit stuff because you can't really do those with needles.
Also, fun fact: I actually have patterns for granny squares (typically something specific to crochet) for my looms. I haven't been brave enough to try them yet though.

MonBon 07-17-2017 03:32 PM

I believe in you Kad

Death by Mirrors 07-17-2017 04:54 PM

Granny squares are small though, aren't they? I mean there's no harm in trying, just set an hour aside and see how it works. You can do it!

Kaderin Triste 07-17-2017 05:11 PM

Haha...thanks, MonBon!

Death: I think they can be made small or large, but I'll have to double check the pattern to figure out the exact size.
If I run out of yarn on my mermaid blanket before my next yarn order arrives, maybe I'll try making one.
Which reminds me, I should order the yarn tonight...

trystan830 07-17-2017 10:52 PM

double knitting can be done on needles... i've seen lots of it on ravelry.

also re: granny squares: the blanket i posted back in post #792 is made up of small, two-row granny squares. i've also made a few "overgrown" granny square blankets - 40 rows!

and i had no idea granny squares could be made on a loom, kaderin!

i've actually been thinking of getting this loom, just to make many sizes of things including shawls!

Kaderin Triste 07-18-2017 05:00 AM

Huh. I've never seen anything double knit usng needles. Regardless, it's probably way less complex on a loom. XD

That's a decent loom, but is a larger gauge 3/4" if I recall, so better suited for bulky or super bulky yarns. If you want one that's better suited for thinner yarns, I recommend the Authentic Knitting Board Super Afghan Loom. It's the same style of infinity or "s" loom, but is a smaller gauge (1/2"). Just throwing that bit of knowledge in...

trystan830 07-18-2017 12:07 PM

i might use bulky yarns for a blanket.

but, i've made a few shawls with thin yarn and large crochet hooks, which makes for a drapier, floppier fabric. but the gauge on that loom is good to know, thanks!

re double knitting - we are talking about something like this, right? my guess is it takes a bit of coordination and you'd have to pay a LOT fo attention if you're doing it with needles.

MonBon 07-18-2017 12:55 PM

I love that black and pink (scarf?)
How do I get one xD

trystan830 07-18-2017 01:22 PM

the random one i linked? i have no idea! XD

it was just a picture i liked to show double knitting/double-sided knitting. i love google. =)

Kaderin Triste 07-18-2017 02:51 PM

Um....I can't tell, but maybe?
With loom knitting, a double knit fabric generally has less to do with making a fancy design and is basically just making a doubly thick, plush product without the need to sew layers together.

trystan830 07-18-2017 08:22 PM

ah, well that's cool too.

like the new avi, Kaderin. =)

MonBon 07-18-2017 09:48 PM

Me too!

tsukiko 07-20-2017 12:20 AM

*waves* trystan reminded me that i should actually post in here rather than just lurk xD

Username: tsukiko
Hobbies: sewing costumes, arting, opening/collecting blind bag toys, collecting and modding "fashion" dolls such as monster high and some barbies *i prefer fully articulated dolls*, collecting kawaii things like gachapons, puzzling and board gaming, and prolly a million other things i can't brain late at night xD

trystan830 07-20-2017 12:26 AM

hi there tsukiko! glad to see you out of Lurkerdom. =)

tsukiko 07-20-2017 01:56 AM

LOL! it takes awhile for me to test the waters :P