Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   2020 Reading Challenge (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24039)

daikokunyo 12-31-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trystan830 (Post 1932442)
welcome, daiko!

30 books works out to be 2-1/2 books a month. :)

oh damn, yeah. i should've said 12 books but didn't bother to actually math. well, now that i've said 30, i'm going to stick with 30! //paws the ground and snorts

trystan830 12-31-2019 12:51 PM

eh, it's fine.

my goal is always "more than i read last year."

in 2019 i read 45 books. we'll see how 2020 goes! ;)

Mekatra 12-31-2019 12:55 PM

I need to pay my library fine... I'm so bad. >.<

trystan830 12-31-2019 01:03 PM

yes, go pay your library fine!

Mekatra 12-31-2019 01:13 PM

I will when I get paid on Thursday, I promise. That way I can go back to using my library app on my phone. >.< I need to just stop taking out physical books since I lost one when we moved.

trystan830 12-31-2019 04:41 PM

well that gets an oopsie.... maybe the old house ate the book?

Mekatra 12-31-2019 06:22 PM

I still wonder if our old landlady (who lived upstairs) stole it...

trystan830 12-31-2019 06:26 PM

that's.... awkward.

Mekatra 12-31-2019 06:37 PM

She was a...not nice lady. Let's just put it that way. XD

trystan830 12-31-2019 06:41 PM

ah. well that's not so good either....

Quiet Man Cometh 01-01-2020 04:38 AM

Wow, it's only been 2020 for thirty-six minutes (where I am) and two pages already! I'm in too, but I think I'll do something different this year, and pick specific books that have been on my shelf for ages and aim for those, while also listing my other stuff that I get through. I'll do that here.

Merry 2020 everyone!

~ Quiet's Reading List ~

The Castle of Otranto - Walpole
Considered the originator of Gothic Literature as a genre.
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
A big Russian novel.
Dark Souls: Beyond the Grave, vol. 2 - Mecheri & Romieu
Academic book about themes etc. in Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

And then some...
Carry On - Rowell
Wayward Son - Rowell
Abalone Summer - Dowd
Fangirl - Rowell

Quiet Man Cometh 01-01-2020 05:50 AM

Libraries can be fairly forgiving about fines. If it's a lumpy amount, try talking to the librarian about it, or alternate payment methods. I know some libraries take food donations for a time in lieu of money.

Quiet Man Cometh 01-01-2020 07:44 AM

Posting again, but different topics. Is that bad?

So going over my last year's challenge I made my book a month goal, but it was mostly front loaded. I dropped off my book reviews for a couple months because of issues but I'm back at that now. Fingers crossed that I'll get the book I'm after tomorrow. It's sort of Lovecraft for adolescents, or looks that way. My last review was for the second book of a series about a rescue/rescuing dog and it came with a youth sampler for the publishing company's 2020 releases. Fun!

I'm still keeping in touch with youth books even though I haven't found any appropriate library work yet. I may just start a youtube channel or blog or something to go with my LibraryThing and do some little things like book talks and such.

I'm much further into Carry On now, and actually near the end. I'm surprised at how entertaining the book has been. Baz is an absolutely delightful bastard and Simon...not sure yet but I love the interplay. Though it did throw me for a loop a bit when I discovered mid novel (when the author actually gets around to significant descriptions) that I had the cover character backwards.

I bumped into Rainbow Rowell by accident but recalled seeing her book Fangirl around. Fangirl is about a girl who's devoted to writing fan fiction about a character called Simon Snow, and Carry On is (now) the fiction that Fangirl writes about. I'll probably read Fangirl, since I read fanfiction now and then anyway and it's already there. Not sure I'll pick up Wayward Son though, if it's as dramatic and emotional as reviews seem to say.

Mekatra 01-01-2020 10:44 AM

I don't mind paying the fine and supporting the local library, I just ave to wait until payday to do it.

daikokunyo 01-01-2020 11:48 AM

i read rainbow rowell's fangirl. it was nice. not great, not bad. i liked it.

i do want to read carry on. the snippets of it that were there in fangirl were fun.

trystan830 01-01-2020 02:27 PM

welcome, Quiet Man! i'll add your challenge post to #2 on page 1.

Rainbow Rowell. i haventt read Fangirl, or Carry On (also, there's a sequel - Wayward Son), but i have read two others (i needed Goodreads to tell me the titles, but...): Landline and Attachments. i thought both were very good - light, fun reading, that you don't have to think too deeply about, but interesting subject matter. also, these characters are adults, so there was that too. but a fun read, i'll say that.