Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art & Writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   NaNoWriMo anyone? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9569)

trystan830 11-01-2017 04:51 PM

there's even a badge for Rebel, too XD

i changed my spreadsheet i use for this year - so now i get my word count from google docs, pop it into the cell, and the formula tells me how many words i've written since the beginning. right now, i've only written 532 new words. XD

on the other hand, i KNOW i won't get 50,000 written, BUT i'll finally have finished the thing.... it's been since mumblemumble97mumblemumble.....

Coda 11-01-2017 04:55 PM

Since 2001 for me. I didn't even know about NaNo when I was in high school.

trystan830 11-01-2017 05:06 PM

so i started Timeless Dance in 97. but then in 98, i got hit by the fanfic bug.... and wrote a LOT of fanfic....at least until *checks LJ* 2009.

and then i just got lazy. but here's the thing - there are things i use every day that relate to Timeless Dance - numbers, names, so why the #@$%^&* was i being so @#$%^&*^$ lazy about finishing it? XD

Coda 11-01-2017 05:22 PM

Created my thread: https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22891

trystan830 11-01-2017 05:30 PM

oh cool!

*subscribes to thread*

my google docs link should allow comments to be left: Timeless Dance

keep in mind: chapters 1-17 were completed. ch 18 had been started, what's now ch 20 was just labeled "Last Chapter" and is about half completed. there are my notes where i'm currently writing, for ch 19, and at the end of it as to what i want to write and include. that's to prompt my swiss cheese memory(tm) and fill in all the holes. XD

also: time travel romance. just saying. the explicit scene is in chapter 14.

Coda 11-01-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trystan830 (Post 1814355)
also: time travel romance. just saying. the explicit scene is in chapter 14.

Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife?

trystan830 11-01-2017 05:32 PM

yes; and i own it. and the movie. =)

have you read "Her Fearful Symmetry"? same author.

Coda 11-01-2017 05:59 PM

I have not, but I've been meaning to pick up The Time Traveler's Daughter.

trystan830 11-01-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coda (Post 1814367)
The Time Traveler's Daughter.

is that a thing? it doesn't come up in a list of Audrey Niffenegger's books. and in a google search, i find fanfic... and article from 2013 saying Niffenegger gave the go-ahead for an ebook.....

but i don't see anything indicating that's an actual thing?

Coda 11-01-2017 06:32 PM

Really...? That's... huh. Where the heck did the recommendation come from, then? Because someone told me I should really read the sequel. I hadn't actually gotten around to looking for it yet.

trystan830 11-01-2017 06:38 PM

i know, right? it should be a thing.

there's this from 2013. huh.

Coda 11-01-2017 06:41 PM

Okay, that explains it. XD The sequel isn't OUT yet!

trystan830 11-01-2017 06:47 PM

well.... do you have a wordpress account?

Audrey Niffenegger on Twitter --> takes you to

this page on WordPress:

This site is marked private by its owner. If you would like to view it, you’ll need two things:
A WordPress.com account. Don’t have an account? All you need is an email address and password — register here!
Permission from the site owner. Once you've created an account, log in and revisit this screen to request an invite.
If you already have both of these, great!

so.... maybe?

Coda 11-01-2017 07:06 PM

https://www.audreyniffenegger.com/faqs/

ARE YOU GOING TO WRITE A SEQUEL TO THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE?
Yes. The working title is The Other Husband. It should be published in 2018 or 2019 if I can avoid distractions and carry on writing it.

So I have no idea where I got that title.

trystan830 11-01-2017 07:12 PM

well that answers that.

as for The Time Traveler's Daughter, you may have seen it somewhere or other - i remember seeing it as well.

Quiet Man Cometh 11-02-2017 04:35 AM

I've been super busy so I completely forgot about Nano this year (and Inktober) until the middle of the local (read: one hour drive) kick-off for the year. I was less busy today but managed to forget again! Not that I have any idea at all of what I'm going to write.

There is an actual local write-in (only a 20 minute drive!) tomorrow evening but if the snow starts falling like the weather is suggesting, I'll have to bail on it and make sure I get home before the roads get iffy.

It's been a bumpy start.

trystan830 11-02-2017 10:06 AM

well, hopefully you can get something written?

here's my game plan of attack:
https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...72895232_n.jpg

so far, i've crossed off #1! woot!! and i'm working on #2. =D

Coda 11-02-2017 06:01 PM

I'm not entirely happy with how this is going so far. I've got a story I want to tell, and I'm confident that I can hit all of the plot points I want, but Dr. Wily's characterization isn't coming through the way I want it to. I can't imagine the monologue I'm writing being said in his voice.

Oh well. Not a concern for NaNo. That's something I can fix in editing.

Tangentially: Geez, I'd forgotten how long 1700 words is... Posted an update and I'm not even halfway through YESTERDAY'S quota, much less putting any sort of dent into TODAY'S.

trystan830 11-02-2017 10:30 PM

*reads your update* it sounds good to me!

and yeah, 1700 words is probably longer than you think it is.

in other news, i've written 3,060 words so far - 1201 yesterday and 1850 so far today.

Quiet Man Cometh 11-03-2017 01:28 AM

I had hoped to hit a local writer's meet-up tonight but we just got snow and the first hit is usually hardest on the roads. In town it's probably okay but up here we've got some inches. Haven't looked out in a while though, so not really sure how deep it is, yet.

Tomorrow looks mean, too. Might be able to make it for Saturday. Seems to be an every night thing, or the local ML made an error on the calendar.

Coda 11-03-2017 04:18 AM

Well... Caught up with day one's quota and halfway through day two's quota. If I can write this many words again tomorrow then I should be caught up.

I'm much more comfortable with Dr. Wily's WRITTEN voice than his SPOKEN voice. Despite being a mad scientist he's still an academic at heart; given the title "Doctor" it's safe to assume he's got a PhD which means he's published research papers. So when he's writing he tends to lapse into an academic voice, although especially when he's getting tired he doesn't always keep to the most rigorous tone. (And he IS a mad scientist, so every once in a while he'll let slip a short rant or gloat even in writing.)

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 06:47 AM

It's so cool to see all of you doing NaNo!

If you can't make in-person write ins, check to see if your region has ChatNaNo or email Utoxin to see if you can sign up for it yourself. You can join online write ins from around the world AND there is a zany bot named Timmy that will set up word sprint goals by typing !boxodoom [number of minutes][level of hardness] so an example would be !boxodoom 20 medium and you'd get something like 650.

You can find more information about it here.

Coda 11-03-2017 12:02 PM

No thanks, I get too distracted in that kind of setting. I write better solo. ^^()

Claire Bear 11-03-2017 12:40 PM

November is the worst month for this (for me). I wish it were a summer thing. I only attempted nanowrimo once and got so swept up with school work I didn't get very far at all.

Points to the houses of all who stick to this and even get halfway to their goals.

I think it's probably the best way to get a first draft of a novel written though, to just sit down and 'git er done' so they say.

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 12:41 PM

It was just a thought. The only thing the set up does is time the word war. I never watch the screen or chat when I'm in the middle of the word war. I agree, that can be too distracting.

But written kitten or write or die don't motivate me as much as the friendly competition of a word war.

Death by Mirrors 11-03-2017 03:55 PM

650 in 20 minutes counts as medium? *backs out slowly*

I can do 1200 words per hour on a good day, but it's usually more around 1000. Less if the result is supposed to be decent too.

Coda 11-03-2017 04:20 PM

I suppose a lot of it has to do with typing speed. I can sustain 90+ words per minute typing speed if I don't have to put too much effort into thinking about what I'm typing. (I can break 120wpm if I'm really focusing on typing fast and I already know what I'm writing, but that's not so effective when I'm trying to combine it with creativity. More useful for transcription.)

So if I more or less already know what I'm writing, I could theoretically write a whole day's quota worth in a 20-minute span. This is of course a big precondition. :P I can't sustain that, especially if I'm still figuring out the story.

Claire Bear 11-03-2017 04:48 PM

I think my biggest struggle is figuring out the story. I type pretty fast once I know what I'm doing.

trystan830 11-03-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire Bear (Post 1815068)
I think my biggest struggle is figuring out the story. I type pretty fast once I know what I'm doing.

ME!!

Coda 11-03-2017 05:34 PM

I think that's true of most authors. It certainly applies to me as well.

Quiet Man Cometh 11-03-2017 06:16 PM

I got inspired last night and actually wrote out a few lines in my writing journal at 3 am. I'll add that to my word count today, once I get it typed up.

My best year was when I was doing stream of consciousness, and it was great fun, but haven't done near as well since. Last year's nano for me was editing that original mass.

My area (which encompasses pretty much all of my province that isn't Victoria or Vancouver) does have virtual write-ins, but I like being social now and then as I spend so much time at home. I'm snowed in though. Probably shouldn't try to drive in tonight, either. Bah.

Death by Mirrors 11-03-2017 06:21 PM

Uh, I think my typing speed isn't that bad, but my... thinking speed? If I write as fast as I'm able to type and just jot down the first thing of whatever comes to my mind, the story which unfolds in front of me consists entirely of pluperfect tense and nearly every second word is an adjective.

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 06:49 PM

Add me to the list of typing much faster when I know what to say. I can get my 1667 words generally in 1 1/2 hours. That includes part of that time where you are staring at the screen brain dead. :P

Quiet - every region has some in person write ins. They may not be close by, but if you post about wanting to get together with people in your area, you might just be able to set up a write in on your own. It's so much fun IMO to have that blend of socialization with focused writing.

trystan830 11-03-2017 07:35 PM

so i only have 745 words written so far today.... but i'm done chapter 19!!

(did i post my checklist in this thread? *scrolls up*)

edit - yep, back in post 217. so, i can now check off #2!!

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 08:17 PM

Yay Trys!

I didn't get my recommended daily word count, but I was ahead from last night's write in so I'm right on track with my word count.

Plus the all day write in tomorrow will definitely give me at a minimum 5K words.

trystan830 11-03-2017 08:19 PM

i kinda have an all-day write in tomorrow too - i'm off from work! XD

Quiet Man Cometh 11-03-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenKitty (Post 1815110)
Quiet - every region has some in person write ins. They may not be close by, but if you post about wanting to get together with people in your area, you might just be able to set up a write in on your own. It's so much fun IMO to have that blend of socialization with focused writing.

I think you're misinterpreting my situation. There are local write-ins in my city. It just takes me at least 20 minutes to get to said city on a good day because I live in a rural area. If I go out in the evening, with the snow and ice there's a risk that I might not be able to make the return drive up the necessary hills to get back home.

Coda 11-03-2017 10:11 PM

Well, time to figure out what to write next. I have like 20 scenes at least vaguely sketched out in my head but I don't know where to start.

trystan830 11-03-2017 10:16 PM

Coda - that's the joy of working on a computer and non-linearly. just pick one and start!

*in the middle of finishing chapter 20, which up until recently was called "Last Chapter" because i started writing it when i was somewhere in the middle of the story....*

Coda 11-03-2017 11:34 PM

I mean yes, but I don't really know where to start any of them, I only know what's going to happen during them.