Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art & Writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   NaNoWriMo anyone? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9569)

ZenKitty 12-25-2018 11:20 PM

How did everyone do with their NaNo? I finished with over 80K words and haven't looked at writing since then. I've been on a much needed break. :P

trystan830 12-25-2018 11:33 PM

i finished with 53,650 words... and i haven't looked at it since then either. i usually just write in november XD

Gogandantes 08-11-2019 10:53 PM

I consider this every year and never have time lol. I can still login to my account there but that's probably as far as I will get again this year. xd

trystan830 08-11-2019 11:01 PM

i plan on doing it again this year.... reminds me i gotta post a few things on my instagram....

Kaderin Triste 08-12-2019 12:07 AM

Lol. I always plan on doing NaNo, but never actually participate. Mostly because I no longer fancy myself good enough to be a novel writer, but if I start doing some proper planning now, I may be able to come up with an ACTUAL plot for the first time in ever and actually participate. XD
Or maybe just write a lot of short Derpy stories. ;D

Death by Mirrors 08-12-2019 05:17 AM

Gogandantes, if you don't have enough time in November for an actual 50k novel, you might want to look into Camp NaNoWriMo which is done in (I think) April and July. Unlike the big November event, camp allows you to set your own word count goal. This is a great start for anyone who wants to write but feels intimidated by huge numbers.

Kaderin, "good enough" for one is a matter of practice - writing is just as much a skill as most other things -, and the whole point would be to give yourself creative freedom to write, even if you think it sucks. Granted, I understand if your motivation suffers from not being able to land a book deal... but then again keep in mind many now famous authors were rejected several times in the past.

Kaderin Triste 08-12-2019 08:44 AM

Lol.....land a book deal...I am not good with plots tbh, so I think the longest story I've ever managed to write hit around 5-6 pages before it fell apart.

Realistically, my issues all stem from the constant subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) insults I would get on a regular basis from family (my parents were big on the preventing conflict by discouraging me from doing things my sister was like piano and choir, etc) and kids at school (you know, typical verbal bullying...) for basically 10 years followed by almost 10 years of less frequent subtle jabs mainly by my dad, who is becoming quite the expert at questioning and sounding disappointed at how I live my life, then praising my siblings. Add to that the fact that most friends who I have semi-regular contact with outside of Trisphee have usually ended the friendship after a year or two, usually for something I said or did, without giving a chance to fix the problem and my brain is basically a big mess of feelings of inferiority, fear, and worthlessness. It's a daily struggle and could be stuff that I should write about, but I just can't make anything come out that my brain says is any good. The thought formulate in my head and sound perfect, but as I type them, they slip into a garbled mess halfway through and I'm left with half a page of mostly useless rambling.

Oh look...I'm making excuses again... >.>

trystan830 08-12-2019 10:12 AM

i started writing in middle school. between middle school and high school, the kids would, at various times, steal my notebook as well as taunt me for writing for fun. maybe they just didn't get it.

up until like 2010 i was writing consistently a LOT. i wrote original things, and starting in the late 90s - 1998 - was when i wrote my first fanfic. the voices spoke to me until 2010, and now those fanfic voices are quiet. (there's lots of other noise in there though!)

one of the habits that NaNo tries to get you to do is write every day - even if it's only a little bit of description or short scene. when i got my idea in 2011 for a story, i actually started writing it right then, in like october i think it was. someone suggested waiting until november and writing it for NaNo. and with one exception (2015), i've been writing in november ever since.

i'm wondering if y'all wouldn't mind if i linked my story from last year; along with some "think outside the box" questions about it that maybe we all could brainstorm ideas for - for my story for this year? last year's story took place in my own made-up world, two realms, Odrea and Otren. the story was just a small part of that world, narrated by one woman. this year, i want to explore more parts of it, but my brain is kinda stuck.

so let me know and i'll post some links! thanks! :)

Death by Mirrors 08-12-2019 07:28 PM

Trystan: Sure, go ahead and post a link! I think outside the box more often than in it, so I probably can come up with a few questions and/or details about your made-up world that I'd personally enjoy to hear more of. Sometimes plots lie where you least suspect them.

Kaderin: Alright, I guess I understand. Feelings of inferiority suck big time, and unfortunately I don't know the magic formula to make them disappear (if I ever find out, I'll live in a huge mansion with a flock of groupies and a dozen cats and have a city named after me). What I meant to say was NaNo is supposed to be fun, even or especially if someone doesn't consider themselves the greatest writer of the century. I for one would love to read your stories, just the way I always enjoy reading from Derpy. You give this little dragon so much character - no garbled mess there at all.

trystan830 08-12-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death by Mirrors (Post 1900344)
Sometimes plots lie where you least suspect them.

THIS.

ok, story:
The Thing with Feathers

Notes for Tales from Odrea <-- comments should be enabled for this one

Kaderin Triste 08-12-2019 09:23 PM

Death: One of my friends and I have honestly been talking out the possibility of a series of Derpy children's books, so, tbh, I am thinking of making the first one part of a five-year plan of sorts. With a lot of research to happen hopefully soon about kid books followed by dabbling in the writing and also publishing research, but I don't expect instant success for sure. But I might use NaNo this year as a sort of trial run to get into writing and to maybe find the fun in writing again.

trystan830 08-12-2019 09:34 PM

yaay Kaderin! i'll read your Derpy stories! :)

Kaderin Triste 08-12-2019 10:03 PM

The Many Adventure of Derpy McBlueEyes: The Quest for the Golden Donut
Lol.

trystan830 08-12-2019 10:13 PM

sounds good!

Kaderin Triste 08-12-2019 10:16 PM

Lol. I feel like the title might be a tad bit long...
XD
But I would 100% pick up a book with that title.

trystan830 08-12-2019 10:21 PM

long titles?

*The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
*Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
*Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
*And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
*Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
*The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

most were from a list i found on goodreads

Kaderin Triste 08-13-2019 12:10 AM

Lol. Fair point. XD
Also: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

trystan830 08-13-2019 12:14 AM

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
So Long, and Thanks for All The Fish

Death by Mirrors 08-13-2019 07:06 AM

The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade

Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story we couldn't quite finish, so maybe you could help us out

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates

trystan830 08-13-2019 09:44 AM

ok, Death, you win with the loonnnnng titles! XD

trystan830 09-04-2019 01:46 PM

yanno, i forgot i'd posted my links in this thread.... and when i came her to do that, they're already here! woo hoo! :)

Merskelly Metalien 10-17-2019 07:48 PM

:/ How does NaNoWriMo work anyways?
Is there also a sort of prompt to follow?? I'm curious.

mdom 10-17-2019 09:40 PM

No, you can write about anything! Fiction, memoirs, 50k words of haiku!
As long as it's 50k

trystan830 10-17-2019 10:24 PM

actually, pretty sure there's a section on the forum (provided it's not cranky) for prompts, should you get stuck writing. the new site/forum is still....buggy.

Merskelly Metalien 10-18-2019 12:04 AM

50K? o-o Words? As in Word count? <:/ Gosh...how much is 50 pages worth of words??
*checks*
O_O; Uhh...well...I expected 50 pages to be WAY over the limit, but...
it looks like it's only a quarter of the way. Q_Q;

trystan830 10-18-2019 07:24 PM

yep, 50,000 words.

this year (as i did in 2014) i'm doing a few connected stories - in 2014, i had 5 stories. this year i have 4 so far that relate to the world i created in last year's NaNo... and one that's so totally not. XD

if you want, i can link you to last year's, it's a whole new created world, i suppose the genre would be fantasy-ish.

Merskelly Metalien 10-18-2019 08:02 PM

:] That's really neat! How long did it take you to write them? o.o;

trystan830 10-18-2019 09:02 PM

*pulls up spreadsheet*

2011, i got to the 50k on the 21st, finished with 65,020 on the 28th
2012 - on the 22nd, finished with 51,151 on the 23rd
2013 - on the 22nd, finished with 53,500 on the 24th
2014 - on the 20th, finished with 53,585 on the 23rd
2016 - on the 20th and finished with 50,366
2018 - on the 20th and finished with 50,650

in 2017, i was a "Rebel" and finished a novel that i'd previously started, since NaNo is all about starting writing on nov. 1.

Merskelly Metalien 10-18-2019 09:47 PM

O.O wow! That's a lot of writing!! Quite the accomplishment. :] for 4 consecutive years. That's a whole term of US Presidency! x]
:[ Gosh, I wish I could write that much. I'm not sure if it'll be hard or easy though, >w>; because sometimes I get on a roll, and other times, <~<; I just get stuck writing and just forget about it for days..or I'm busy with other stuff. <:/ I would like to write more consistently though..writing is easier than drawing for me.
Was it hard to write every day for an average of 24 days? :/

trystan830 10-18-2019 09:56 PM

thanks!

if you get on a roll, it's easy... LOL!

i tend to "write by the seat of my pants" for the most part - i don't really outline too much, or flesh out my characters until i start writing about them.

as for if it's hard? not really, but there are things that get put off. generally at night i watch tv, play online and crochet. during november, i'll write. and while my tv shows might be on the tv, i may not always watch as intently as i have in the past. and while i'm checking my email, i may skim through it and lurk on my forums instead. and my crocheting isn't so much either. that's why i didn't write in 2015 - no idea of what to write, and i had a number of larger crochet items i made for the hollydays that year. and i do a lot of writing at work, too...LOL

Merskelly Metalien 10-18-2019 10:10 PM

:D I see.
Did you follow a prompt on the seat of your pants, or did you just write whatever you could about whatever you liked for the day?

trystan830 10-18-2019 10:18 PM

well, 2011 and 2012 were based on scenes from a dream - well, 2012 was all based on one scene that i had to put in there somewhere. but they did all start with a prompt that i came up with, and then i just took the story wherever. i can link them, if you're interested. (they're all linked over on my Rav profile, so i can just c&p)

Merskelly Metalien 10-18-2019 10:24 PM

:D Sure, I'd like a link!
I'm planning on a prompt for myself, ^~^; but I haven't really decided on which prompt to go forward with yet.

trystan830 10-18-2019 11:22 PM

have a few links for you:

2018 - The Thing With Feathers

2017 - Timeless Dance <-- this is the one that i finished writing, with only 8340 words XD

2016 - A Brief History of the TechRev, Version 2.0 (prequel to Yours in Time, Jacks)

2014 - Yours in Time, Jacks

2013 - Watching Time

2012 - Lost Angel

2011 - Love on Rye

Merskelly Metalien 10-18-2019 11:29 PM

:D ooh! Sweet! Thanks for the links! I'll check them out for sure! ^-^
It's nice to see that you can share on Google Docs with it being for viewing only. :D I'll need to figure out how to do that with my google docs. x}

trystan830 10-18-2019 11:44 PM

i added Love on Rye as well now. :)

yep, one of the cool things about google docs. also - let me know if any of those links above doesn't work or doesn't go to the story i claimed it's supposed to be XD

i'll have the link to this year's in my sig once november hits, so anyone who wants can read along. :)

trystan830 10-29-2019 01:55 PM

https://smellygreencat.files.wordpre...pg?w=474&h=416

Death by Mirrors 10-29-2019 03:08 PM

https://novelize.nyc3.digitaloceansp...ring-it-on.jpg

Merskelly Metalien 10-29-2019 03:51 PM

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/me...Ms92/giphy.gif

Death by Mirrors 10-29-2019 04:41 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/7b/42/b0/7...es-bridges.jpg