Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Games & Tech (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cybernetics, the way forward? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5247)

Beff With An F 06-20-2011 05:53 PM

Cybernetics, the way forward?

This video is an interview with the leading researcher into cybernetics about his experiements.

Do you think that humans will agree to artificial evolution?
Would you want an implant like this?
If you got an implant imbedded into your nervous system what would you want ti to enable you to do?

I think this raises a lot of interesting ethical questions. :3

Serra Britt 06-20-2011 09:36 PM

It's a tricky subject of course.. I think with the right direction it can be a big help. Look at pacemakers for instance, helping weak hearts beat correctly. But of course, when we start looking into ways to make people "more than human" then we see, say, wartime applications which I don't really agree with. Despite the fact that things made for war can certainly help on a peacetime level, making supersoldiers is not something that interests me at all...

Beff With An F 06-20-2011 09:45 PM

Serra, I think that cybernetics would be a good thing for people who have lost a limb or have nerve damage. But I agree that trying to create a superior human being is going to have it's downsides... It'll probably be very expensive, for starters. So only the priviliged will get to use it.

Serra Britt 06-20-2011 09:53 PM

Yes Beff, just like every new medical treatment it would be expensive :x I'd like to believe that some people will just use it for good purposes like repairing nerve damage and replacing limbs, but I also know that some enterprising souls are going to try to find a use for "normal" people, and then on to offensive applications. Maybe I'm just a pessimist in this sense ><

Ashy 06-20-2011 10:03 PM

didnt you guys ever watch transformers!?!?

the cybernetics will become self-aware and kill us all!

CupcakeDolly 06-21-2011 04:41 AM

Yeesh... The more I see of what technology is turning into, the more nervous I become about the possibility of the Singularity actually coming to fruition. As crazy as it might sound, allowing cybernetics into our bodies seems like a clear path toward technology developing a consciousness of its own.

littl3chocobo 06-21-2011 04:51 AM

well at this point it is unavoidable, we found out how to use organic materials and look what we have done, the knowlede that a mechanical substitute is now on the horizen has pretty much desided that it will happen regardless of our, the laymen's, feelings on the matter

Beff With An F 06-21-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serra Britt (Post 712894)
Yes Beff, just like every new medical treatment it would be expensive :x I'd like to believe that some people will just use it for good purposes like repairing nerve damage and replacing limbs, but I also know that some enterprising souls are going to try to find a use for "normal" people, and then on to offensive applications. Maybe I'm just a pessimist in this sense ><

There are always gonna be people who use new technlogies to help themselves and hinder others... That's, unfortunately, the way of the world. :C Kinda makes you sad to be human.

Ashy, Or iRobot. Or any other film with robots in it. xD IT's a big fear apparently.

Cupcake, I only heard about Singularity used in this context recently. I always thoght it ad something to do with black holes. D: I think we are a long way off from a robot having the same capacity to carry out conscious actions as humans. But having a human controlling a robot is no better, really.

chocobo, Hopefully it will be a slow process and we won't see the anihillation of organic life!