Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Club House (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Horrible Hobby Hangout - Join us for sweet tea and sewing! (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22153)

Kaderin Triste 07-14-2017 12:44 AM

Yeah...I really hate not being able to afford internet at home...

Death by Mirrors 07-14-2017 06:09 PM

I feel you...
Everyone should be able to afford internet at home. It's a basic need, right? Water, food, and proper wifi. And craft supplies. Everyone needs craft supplies.

trystan830 07-14-2017 07:28 PM

i completely agree with you, Death... all of it!

Kaderin Triste 07-14-2017 07:36 PM

Well except for a magical never ending supply of jump rings, I'm pretty well set on craft supplies.
Someday I should actually attempt to get my yarn stash all together and photograph it...
>.>

Den 07-14-2017 10:55 PM

and see if any of the skeins have multiplied. lol

I've started a doll of the Wonder Woman character, Nubia. I've got two base dolls, and I'm considering doing a second one to sell as an OOAK custom.

Kaderin Triste 07-15-2017 12:16 AM

Not so sure I'd even notice if they did multiply at this point...
Lol

daikokunyo 07-15-2017 12:36 PM

You know what's the next worst thing to not having wifi of your own?
Having wifi with BLOCKS. Cyberoam sucks.

Death by Mirrors 07-15-2017 01:26 PM

I have no idea what that means, Sternum, but I cross my fingers for you too will one day get proper internet.

My yarn stack definitely multiplies. Just yesterday I had another multicolored pop out of the middle of nowhere, as if to remind me I always procrastinate on learning anything that involves wool and needles.

Kaderin Triste 07-16-2017 04:17 AM

I am not sure what that means either...

Pshh...why learn with needles? Learn on looms! Easier to learn because you don't have to worry about tension!

Death by Mirrors 07-16-2017 06:28 AM

Uh... because I don't have looms, I guess. If I were to start learning, what size would you recommend? What would be a solid beginner equipment for one or two small yet rewarding projects? Can you recommend any loom how-to so simple a monkey could master it? xD (everything that involves thread being "transformed" into something else often seems like rocket science to me)

Kaderin Triste 07-16-2017 03:22 PM

Okay so....the easiest thing to learn, in my opinion, are the double knit scarves (sounds complicated, but is actually super easy. For those all you need is a long/rectangle loom like these. And either the stockinette stitch or the twisted stockinette/figure eight stitch. (I'd link to videos, but my phone won't let me checm YouTube

I would also recommend the new fine gauge round loom set. (Link Here) The original ones are such a big gauge that you practically need to use bulky and super bulky yarn for everything, but the fine gauge ones would work well for worsted weight yarn.

Also, most kits generally come with a little booklet that has some basic project patterns, but I like the authentic knitting board for a lot of new patterns (mainly in the blog sections). They do mainly have patterns specific to their looms, but they have a good section of beginner instructions (here) as well as a series of Stitchology lessons that helps learn new stitches and has actually helped me to learn how to read a pattern chart.

Death by Mirrors 07-16-2017 05:07 PM

Thank you!

Right now I'm not entirely certain if I understand the stitches just from looking at the pictures, but I suppose it will become clearer once I try for myself and maybe watch some folks loom knit the stockinette stitch on youtube. And probably get some really thick yarn, so I see success earlier xD eh I mean so my other two dozens balls of wool don't feel lonely...

Kaderin Triste 07-16-2017 08:03 PM

Yeah, it looks a little intimidating and complicated at first. Once you master the basics though, everything gets easier to figure out.
I mean, I started learning because it looked easy and one of my friends needed help making scarves for her friends for Christmas. And she basically gave me just the basic instructions on one stitch, but not how to finish them or anything. Had to learn everything else on my own and from youtube and websites.
That was about 8-ish years ago I think...but other than a few shitty scarves, I hadn't really started getting into making things until about 5-6 years ago. My main project for a while was fingerless gloves because they're super easy and quick. I briefly got into lacy stule slouch hats, but other than 3 fo myself and maybe 2 others that I am still hoping to sell, I didn't really stick with those. I keep meaning to make socks, but have never managed to make a full pair yet although I've made 2 separate toeless socks for myself for lounging at home (technically one was part of a full pair, but I did the bind off too tight and the yarn broke and it all started to unravel so I threw it out) and now my main focus is stuffed animals. And also blankets even though they take forever to make and require a crap-ton of yarn. Hey! Maybe I should make a "scrap" blanket using a bunch of my random skeins (and half-skeins) of yarn! A good way to stash bust although I really would need another blanket loom for that because I already have plans for my one once I finish the mermaid blanket for myself.
And now I'm babbling. XD

SparX 07-17-2017 12:16 AM

I tried to read all of this page, but I understand nothing about knitting/crotcheting (or how to actually tell the two apart)
XD It makes me laugh but also makes me feel like a terrible friend, since most of my friends do one or the other or both. . . .

Side note: This weeks doodle that is getting turned into a digital -something- I am halfway done with. I also want to do it in black and white with india ink. . . .

Kaderin Triste 07-17-2017 04:09 AM

Haha..don't feel too bad, Sparx. Most people who don't do yarn crafts can't tell the difference. As long as you let your friends ramble about it, that's the important part.
The only thing that bothers me with my friends is when, even after I tell them dozens of times that I DO NOT crochet, they will still send me a pattern link that says crochet right in the title and then ask if I can make it for them.
But, in the long run, as long as my friends smile and nod when I get excited and ramble about a current project, or a certain yarn or tool that I want, that's all that matters. I know that the things I'm babbling about mean nothing to them.

Cool drawing. I like the fish hooks.

Death by Mirrors 07-17-2017 05:25 AM

Don't worry, SparX - for most of the time I can also tell it apart only when I look at a pattern and it says "knit" or "crochet" in the title. Sometimes I get the impression knitted stuff looks more smooth and fragile, while crocheted appears more sturdy, but then there's also naalbinding which is something different again, and before Kaderin's posts here in the hobby thread I didn't even know loom knitting was a thing... I'm not saying rocket science for nothing :s-fancy:

But some stuff people make looks really amazing. I'm certainly not the only one here who can lose hours on sites like pinterest, ravelry or instructables browsing possible projects.