Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art & Writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Poor Fanfic writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22506)

Boris 05-07-2017 01:43 PM

Poor Fanfic writing

I was on discord and a friend replied to this video: TheSweptaways-
Oh My Darling Clementine
and he asked I wrote songs. I told him I didn't until I remembered I did write a song and my own renditions of a few christmas carols. I looked for the spiral notebook I had just so I could type up the song for him, but I decided to share the rest of the poorly written fanfic with someone else since they seemed eager.
As I was reading it, I laughed because of how... terrible it was! Not because of the punctuation marks being in the wrong spots, but because of the words and what not... I... may share them if you wish; however, they are written in cursive. It's poorly written and I typed it up as is just to show how poorly written the fanfic was. It is also unfinished, but reading back, I began to want to start it all over from scratch.

Discuss
  • Fanfics you may have read or written
  • Fanfics you are planning to write
  • Fanfics you are currently writing
Note: Please do not insult someone else's work just for the sake of it. Give constructive feedback as well.

daikokunyo 05-08-2017 04:42 AM

I read fanfics on fanficiton.net and Asianfanfics. I sometimes like reading badly written fic so that I don't feel like 'What the hell am I even doing, what do I think of myself, trying to write?" :p-sweat: I also find that fanfics have the most detailed erotic scenes I've come across, probably because there isn't any censorship as long as you rate it, it's all up to the author. So I enjoy reading fics of my BL ships. I'm planning to write a Kevin x AJ (UKISS) kpop ship fanfic, and I have a good bit of material for it... we'll see how it goes. I've been utterly unable to make the time to write it.

Boris 05-08-2017 01:49 PM

Alright. I'll share my crappy fanfics with you if you want, as long as you can read cursive. Hmm, I do wanna read your fanfics.

Gallagher 05-08-2017 02:05 PM

i generally enjoy fanfics more for the interpretations of canon and the ideas they bring to the table than for any actual skill in writing. which is for the best, as skill is generally... eh. not high priority in these sorts of works. finding people that take the art of writing seriously can be difficult, let alone doing so in such a casual circle as fanfic writing.

i read fics on archive of our own. nowhere else. they have the best tags and filters system to get exactly what i want quickly, and i can find more... hm. emotionally complex fanfics there than anywhere else i've tried.

i have a couple unfinished, unpublished fanfics in my files, both for undertale. neither is very impressive, i don't think, but i'm comfortable with what i've written, even a year after i began.

but aaaaaaanyway, lol. i pretty much survive on "bad" writing. and writing discussions in general. you can ask anyone that knows me, i am at my absolute happiest when i've found something wonderful/awful to share with literally anyone that will listen about how great/bad it is.

Boris 05-08-2017 03:56 PM

I'd love to read those unfinished fanfics you've done... even if they are unfinished. Are you planning to finish them? What genre are the fanfics?

Gallagher 05-08-2017 04:02 PM

Uhhhh, i keep saying i will, but i don't even trust myself. other people super shouldn't trust me, lol.

one of them plays off the theme of ukagakas, the other is following a loop of neutral runs. the latter has a couple chapters done, but is much farther from completion than the former.

Boris 05-08-2017 04:07 PM

You just reminded me... I have to write stories for other people because I promised. Ugh... I just wish he and the others could read cursive. WHich reminds me... I thought you said "I pretty much cursive on 'bad' writing" instead of what you actually put.

I am thinking of starting over my poorly done fanfic.

Quiet Man Cometh 05-10-2017 12:33 AM

I live by paper and pen still, so strange for me to even be saying, why hand-write them if you are making them for other people?

I still hand-write my poetry for the most part, but type all my prose. If you happen to wander into the Gundam Wing section of fanfiction.net you'll find my old stuff, though it's been some years. I used fan-fic writing as practice and when I don't feel like making characters of my own to use. I started an au fantasy with intentions to feed in various series references and such, but I started it before I really had much of a plot in mind, making it up as I went, but that never bodes well for longevity. I have a canon-esque collection of shorts as well, and that one I prefer.

Coda 05-10-2017 10:58 AM

The other day while I was packing boxes to move, I came across a fanfic I wrote when I was 12. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers self-insert. It was printed off with an ASCII art logo on the cover, with an improvised binding (stapled down the side, then a strip of paper taped over the staples -- it actually looks pretty good, and I might actually reuse that trick), and autographed.

It was obviously written by a 12-year-old (though a 12-year-old in honors English classes), but as "bad" fanfiction goes it's actually not all that bad -- part of it helps that I was working with such a campy source material, but I actually had put effort into imitating the style and episode structure, so it mostly works out... in... a pathetically dorky kind of way.

I didn't know it was a fanfic when I wrote it. Internet access wasn't exactly a common thing at that point in history (1994). To my mind at the time, it was an episode of the show that I had made up.

Somewhere out there on the Internet you can also find a Secret of Mana fanfic that I wrote in high school. It's not awful, but in this case I knew it wasn't great when I wrote it. I wasn't trying for high quality work; I was just really itching to write something and so I forced myself to start putting words down until I came up with something. I eventually found something, which is why it gets better as it goes along.

Boris 05-10-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh (Post 1775892)
I live by paper and pen still, so strange for me to even be saying, why hand-write them if you are making them for other people?

I still hand-write my poetry for the most part, but type all my prose. If you happen to wander into the Gundam Wing section of fanfiction.net you'll find my old stuff, though it's been some years. I used fan-fic writing as practice and when I don't feel like making characters of my own to use. I started an au fantasy with intentions to feed in various series references and such, but I started it before I really had much of a plot in mind, making it up as I went, but that never bodes well for longevity. I have a canon-esque collection of shorts as well, and that one I prefer.

Gundam... is that the one where there a giant robot, and the head is an entire car? Not everyone can red cursive. In fact, I have a friend who was a teacher, and he said he hated it when parents wrote in cursive because he had to pretend he could read the note.

Anyways,I can see fanfic writing as practice. Do you have any stories you're willing to share that aren't fanfics? I think I might wanna read 'em later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coda (Post 1775903)

Yo, I wanna read that self insert MMPR fanfic. If that's the link to your fanfic, I think I'ma read it after I finish reading someone else's fanfics. I told them I would when I had the time, and I'm pretty open at the moment, so here's my chance.

Reading that you did a power rangers fanfic... it made me feel like writing a crappy fanfic... I don't think it would even be called a fanfic. :p-dead:

I like tht you forced yourself to write something down, though. That's suposed to help you get better at writing.

Coda 05-10-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 1775914)
Gundam... is that the one where there a giant robot, and the head is an entire car?

No, that's Megas XLR.

Quote:

Yo, I wanna read that self insert MMPR fanfic. If that's the link to your fanfic, I think I'ma read it after I finish reading someone else's fanfics. I told them I would when I had the time, and I'm pretty open at the moment, so here's my chance.
It's not online anywhere. I'd have to retype it, and I already packed it up, so I don't have it available at the moment. I do remember it's called "Quills for Power" and it's based on a porcupine-themed monster.

The link is to the Secret of Mana one.

Boris 05-10-2017 02:16 PM

Oh, cool! I'll give that a read then. As for the Power Rangers one, I still wanna read it, but I don't want to inconvenience you. It took me HOURS to type up my short fanfic. That's if you ever unpack it.

Oh, I see. Well, I'll have to look up Gundam... wait, is that the one where humans are kept underground and they kill the guy who ordered every non human on the planet, but it turns out that he did that o an alien race wouldn't find and wipe out all the humans?

Coda 05-10-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 1775918)
Oh, I see. Well, I'll have to look up Gundam... wait, is that the one where humans are kept underground and they kill the guy who ordered every non human on the planet, but it turns out that he did that o an alien race wouldn't find and wipe out all the humans?

I... don't think it's that one either. I've never heard of that, but Gundam is such a huge series (ongoing since the '70s) that it's not impossible that one story or another might have done that.

EDIT: It wouldn't take me nearly that long to retype it. It's not THAT long (just a few pages) and I type 100 words per minute.

Quiet Man Cometh 05-11-2017 12:14 AM

There are several Gundam series', and people argue about them. I've only seen Wing as that's the one that made it to western television when I was watching. It was a glorious reprieve from Sailor Moon and such, even though it's supposed to be one of the poorer of the series.

Essentially, mechs in space, with a blonde (usually) masked anti-villain somewhere.

Like I said, you can find my G-Wing stuff in fanfiction.net, under the same user name (I found Trisphee through a fan-fic, actually). I rarely share my prose online where it can be publicly seen outside of a couple pieces on Deviant Art. Some of it you could probably call DnD fan-fiction given the "resources" I used to write it.

And you didn't answer my question about why you hand-write your fics. ;)

Kaderin Triste 05-12-2017 04:49 PM

Bad fanfic...I have a sort of cross-over one that I started a few months back that involves Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a daughter of Hades (OC) based kind of on the Percy Jackson series. Only have maybe a page of it written so far though. I know how I want it to work, but when I start typing, it doesn't come out right.

Coda 05-19-2017 03:41 PM

I found the Power Rangers fic. I hadn't actually packed it yet. I'll try to find a chance to type it up, or maybe just take pictures.