Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Games & Tech (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Defiance (The Video Game) (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18917)

Alpha 04-28-2013 03:42 AM

Defiance (The Video Game)

So...the game has been around for several weeks now. Wondering if anyone has played it yet and if you have any opinions on it? It's an MMO with a third person shooter aspect to it.

For those of you who don't know, Defiance is set on a futuristic, terraformed Earth. It all started when a group of aliens known collectively as the Votan arrived on Earth in their massive Arks. Their home system had been consumed when their sun when supernova, and because of this they were in search of a new planet to call home. Negotiations were opened with the Earth government, and attempts were made for several years. Eventually they failed and the Votan collectively declared war and invaded, attempting to carve out their own territory and stake a claim. In the end, the Arks in orbit were destroyed and fell to the surface in an event known as Arkfall, the result of which was a massive terraforming event which forever changed the surface of Earth. The massive change, along with an act of both sides of peace at the Battle of Defiance, culminated in both groups laying down arms to try and survive in the new and dangerous world.

In the game, you play as an Ark Hunter who makes their living scavenging tech from smaller Arkfalls where orbiting debris falls to the surface. As an MMO you can interact with other players and cooperate or just follow your own path through what used to be the Los Angeles area, with the iconic Golden Gate Bridge as a landmark amongst the new and unfamiliar landscape.

For those who don't know, there is also a TV series on Syfy by the same name. It is set years after the game, with room left for events in the game (actions by players, names, etc.) to influence events in the TV series....a first for any series.

Here's the main site: Defiance
Here's the wiki: Defiance Wiki

Lucid: 04-28-2013 01:40 PM

When I first heard about this concept I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. I wanted to play the game until I found out that I actually had to buy it. D:< My husband watched some episodes of the TV series while I was at work last week, but I haven't had a chance to watch it myself yet. I would love to hear what people think of either the game or the show.

I also suck hardcore at any games involving shooting things, though FPS is the main culprit and I can sometimes handle 3rd person shooters.

Alpha 04-28-2013 02:45 PM

Well....I guess this thread could go hybrid, TV show and video game, eh?

The show, from the two episodes so far, has a lot of potential and is quite interesting. It is based in the town of Defiance over the ruins of what was once St. Louis (the terraforming basically folded the land over the city and basically preserved it in a cavern of sorts). The diversity of characters and races, along with the mysterious "enemy" whose agenda hasn't been revealed yet, has curiosity high and has me hooked so far.

From the in-game footage I've seen so far (ordered the game, should arrive sometime next week) it has the idea of games like the Fallout series, Rage, and Borderlands/Borderlands 2, while introducing the gameplay of an MMO at the same time. So far, great reviews have come out of it and some interesting videos.

Espy 04-28-2013 03:11 PM

You /would/, Alpha, you would XD

Alpha 04-28-2013 03:45 PM

What? What would I do? >.>

Espy 04-28-2013 03:47 PM

Get obsessed with Defiance >.>

Alpha 04-28-2013 07:00 PM

Well.....yes. It is awesome as a TV series, and the reviews have me waiting anxiously for the game to arrive here so I can play it (ordered it offline).

Renata 04-29-2013 12:32 AM

I'm in love with the show myself and as for the game i played a bit of the beta and it wasn't too bad.

Obbiesan 04-29-2013 01:00 AM

I have been thinking of getting it and streaming it for mizzy and so she can play it when she is over here. It does look pretty awesome but idk if i wanna spend the 60 bucks for it

Alpha 04-29-2013 01:01 AM

Hmm....what system? A console or computer? Cause I know you can get it used for consoles for at least 54 bucks used without any kind of coupons or discounts.

Obbiesan 04-29-2013 01:40 AM

IDK what system yet but most likely PC

Alpha 04-29-2013 12:30 PM

Well, if you want to do a download from a site or Steam, probably going to be 60 bucks for now....but if you buy the physical copy (found it on Amazon new for around 52.50 + free shipping) it will vary. *shrugs*

I'll give a review once I actually play it...still...can't wait.

Alpha 05-25-2013 03:18 PM

Okay....so I've beaten the main story and been working on just leveling up and getting better gear.

So far, the story is really interesting and explains some of the universe's back story quite well. The episode missions are a nice tie-in to the TV show since it allows you a chance to meet and interact with characters from the show, as well as to understand why certain things happened the way they have or how they happened.

The additional challenges with unique and powerful rewards (such as the Dodge Challenger)...and trust me, they aren't easy for sure, but definitely not impossible...

Overall, I'd say it's worth the buy (especially if you can get it used and/or for less money).

Renata 05-26-2013 12:56 PM

I've played a bynch this weekend with the free weekend on steam it was interesting the fun kind not the bad kind.

Alpha 05-26-2013 03:59 PM

It is definitely fun....especially if you manage to get the Dodge Challenger to roll around in. It's iconic to be sure...not impossible, but get the black one and it shows you put in some effort.

Renata 05-26-2013 05:24 PM

my only problem with the game is it seemed to need a little more structure.