Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Games & Tech (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tetris (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23707)

Coda 02-17-2019 11:24 PM

Tetris

I've always been good at Tetris. I got my start on the Game Boy in... I think it was 1992? I got into TetriNET around 2000; a friend of mine was, at the time, the champion of a Chicago city Tetris tournament. and I was able to beat him with some effort. When I'm really pushing hard at it I can sustain somewhere around 90 PPM. I'm not anywhere close to being among the best in the world, but my Arena ranking in Tetris Friends is low Platinum-tier.

And now Tetris 99 has come out on Nintendo Switch.

https://twitter.com/codahighland/sta...999040/video/1

I think I'm doing pretty well so far!

mdom 02-17-2019 11:49 PM

Tetris is my favorite game of all time!!!
I remember playing with handheld tetris while everyone else had gameboys |D

Merskelly Metalien 02-18-2019 01:46 AM

I like Tetris. :] It's a great classic game!
I'm not very good at it. I was never really good at it. <x}
But on Kinsaki, the previous avatar community I was part of, :D the site builders included a version of Tetris in their games and could earn site monies for playing, and the higher you scored the more you got! Of course I got a good amount, but I could only play for points once a day.
It even played the old Tetris themes. ^-^

Stabbsworth 02-18-2019 01:35 PM

I enjoy a bit of tetris every so often, if I'm honest.

Merskelly Metalien 02-20-2019 10:25 PM

I tried Tetris 99 on the Switch. :} It is fun! I'm no good at it but it's fun!
X] hehe, my best is 12th place out of 100 I think. <:} So...I'm not good at it but I'm not terrible?? *shruuu-uug?*

Espy 02-21-2019 09:23 PM

Ahem. That is all.

Merskelly Metalien 02-21-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espy (Post 1892659)
Ahem. That is all.

:D Ah omg! I remember that! I didn't remember what the video was called but thanks Espy for finding it! <xp

Coda 02-22-2019 01:27 AM

I don't think I ever knew the title, but my boss when I worked for Google decided to throw it up on the big TV in the office one time. XD

Merskelly Metalien 02-22-2019 03:30 AM

>X} "I am the man who arranges the bloks!"

Espy 02-23-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coda (Post 1892671)
I don't think I ever knew the title, but my boss when I worked for Google decided to throw it up on the big TV in the office one time. XD

Your...your boss wouldn’t happen to have been a CMU alumni, would they?

Merskelly Metalien 02-23-2019 02:13 PM

Oh, forgot about this too. <x} Holy hell this sketch is 9 years old!
"Line Piece!"

Coda 02-23-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espy (Post 1892725)
Your...your boss wouldn’t happen to have been a CMU alumni, would they?

I haven't the foggiest. I have my doubts but it's not impossible. Why do you ask?

EDIT: Re: "line piece" -- I would have put the first of those line pieces horizontally on the right and used the next three to fill the gaps on the left. Problem solved.

Merskelly Metalien 02-23-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coda (Post 1892748)
EDIT: Re: "line piece" -- I would have put the first of those line pieces horizontally on the right and used the next three to fill the gaps on the left. Problem solved.

8< I am a noob at Tetris after all.. haha xD you are clearly more experienced with Tetris than I could ever be! :] And I've played Tetris in my childhood. Then again, I'm pretty much a novice at best anyways, because I don't have very much by means of block-solving skills to begin with, ahah! I love puzzle games but I suck at them too. >u>;

You ever play, Bejeweled?

Coda 02-23-2019 11:53 PM

Yeah, I'm not a huge Bejeweled fan. I prefer more dynamic puzzle games, like Puzzle and Dragons. Imagine Bejeweled, except instead of switching two pieces around for your move, you can pick up a piece and drag it around, switching it with each piece along the way in turn, and then when you let go of the piece it triggers any 3-in-a-row matches on the board.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX-Tz8KpXE (Why yes it is an old game. It's the game that defined the modern mobile RPG genre.)

Merskelly Metalien 02-24-2019 12:00 AM

:] Hmm, kind of like Chuzzle then. Chuzzle was a game like that except you could only move rows of fluffy Chuzzles either horizontally or vertically to match colors.

Coda 02-24-2019 03:11 PM

I played Chuzzle for a while back in the day. Chuzzle is kinda like Yoshi's Cookie.

Merskelly Metalien 02-24-2019 05:34 PM

:D Ayyy! Somebody else knows Chuzzle?! I played Chuzzle back when Windows Vista was all the rage, xD Hahaha, nice!

Although the game I enjoyed the most was Luxor 3. >w< It was my favorite favorite and I was pretty good at it I think. :] Or maybe it was just persistence because I wouldn't give up after losing over and over? x'D I got to advanced levels and all the power-ups, along with the ability to point and shoot with a mouse horizontally with sharp speed. >x}

Coda 02-24-2019 10:08 PM

I played Chuzzle because it was available for Mac. XD

Merskelly Metalien 02-25-2019 03:22 AM

Hahaha! X'D Omg, that's even better!

I used to actually play Tetris on my dad's Razor flip phone. x'D I'd run that battery down if he didn't keep an eye on me, and eventually I never got to play it again because he never let me borrow his phone to play haha!

McSwiggins 03-11-2019 06:03 PM

Games like Tetris make me anxious. It's why I suck at Yoshi on NES. I can only get to level five on the latter.

Coda 03-11-2019 07:01 PM

I'm not very good at Yoshi. I could probably get good if I tried, but the overall puzzle mechanics just aren't compelling to me. Yoshi's Cookie is way better.

Espy 03-11-2019 10:53 PM

I had Yoshi Topsy-Turvy at some point in time. Could probably find it again if I looked hard enough.

McSwiggins 03-12-2019 12:09 AM

Coda, I don't have Yoshi's cookie and I only have Yoshi because I have (or at least my son's Nintendo switch account) has the online subscription and Yoshi is on the NES emulator that online subscribers can download.

Espy, oooh, I've never played that one either. Pft. And I call myself a Yoshi fan. ; D

Seriously though, my son and I play things like Yoshi's Woolly World together. I haven't played Yoshi games in so long until he asked for it for his birthday a couple of years ago.

KittyBeary 03-14-2019 05:17 AM

Tetris always kicks my butt D:

Merskelly Metalien 03-14-2019 07:00 PM

:] I used to be pretty good at Mahjong. It was a less exciting than Tetris, buuuut I had the patience for it. -u-

Coda 03-14-2019 10:20 PM

Actual mahjong, or mahjong solitaire? They're completely different games that are played with the same pieces (sort of like comparing poker to klondike solitaire).

My son and I were just playing Puyo Puyo Tetris. It was a surprisingly even match-up -- he's better at Puyo Puyo than I am, but I'm better at Tetris than he is. In versus mode, I kick his butt: I'm better at Tetris than he is at Puyo Puyo, and the game balance between the two modes isn't calibrated for people with my Tetris skill level (a fast Tetris player can unload a lot of damage in a big hurry, but a fast Puyo Puyo player is constrained by the speed of the animations).

But in Swap mode? THAT got interesting. I'm good enough at Puyo Puyo and he's good enough at Tetris that it doesn't come down to the coin flip of the game mode to determine who wins.

Quiet Man Cometh 03-19-2019 01:47 AM

I've never been too great at Tetris, and the first time I sort of tried was with the board game, since we never had video games in my house until I was 12. I would just try and arrange the pieces into a perfect rectangle with no gaps. The pieces made up the board rectangle with one extra square. Never did really know how the game was supposed to work.

The history of Tetris is kind of interesting. It also still ranks (apparently) as the most popular video game of all time, attributed to it's accessibility. A few bits on a chip and you have a game. It was the first game I tried to play on my first cell phone.

Merskelly Metalien 03-20-2019 05:23 AM

Is Mahjong Solitaire the game where you just match the tiles and they disappear? o-o

Or is it the one you play with a group of four or more with it's actual rules? ...hold on. Just realized that was a stupid question. x'}
Aaah! Of course! I played Mahjong solitaire. Because I played it solitary all the time. ;u; Ah well.

Coda 03-20-2019 01:04 PM

I've played actual mahjong... I think twice? There was a guy from China at my last job that liked to bring it to team gatherings. It makes poker look simplistic by comparison; there's so much to keep track of.

Espy 03-27-2019 02:21 AM

I... can't stand mahjong. Too noisy. I like games that are quiet. So that I can think. ...Chinese chess is nice.

Gogandantes 08-11-2019 09:38 PM

I have played tetris under the sun lol. original tetris, tetris attack, n64 tetrisphere, you name it ive probably played it lolol

Coda 08-12-2019 08:40 AM

One of my coworkers challenged me to Tetris. Everyone who had seen him play said he was amazingly good.

i... um... I beat him 10 games out of 13. XD

https://jstris.jezevec10.com/ -- since Tetris Friends has been shut down, this is as far as I can tell the next-best thing. If you'd like to try me, we can figure out a time to play.

Stabbsworth 08-13-2019 12:53 PM

i'd love to play tetris with you.

mind you, i still have no idea how to do a t spin.

Coda 08-13-2019 06:22 PM

I'm not very good at T-spins, myself.

Espy 08-14-2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coda (Post 1900314)
https://jstris.jezevec10.com/ -- since Tetris Friends has been shut down, this is as far as I can tell the next-best thing. If you'd like to try me, we can figure out a time to play.

WHEN DID IT SHUT DOWN

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voidbarker (Post 1900477)
i'd love to play tetris with you.

mind you, i still have no idea how to do a t spin.

what the heck is a t spin

Coda 08-14-2019 10:05 AM

It shut down at around the same time that Tetris 99 picked up game modes beyond just battle royale... which is to say, recently.

A T-spin was originally a game mechanics exploit that would let you rotate a T piece into a place under an overhang that it wouldn't normally be able to reach. Basically, if a rotation (possibly also including gravity and wall kicks) would put the piece in a legal place, then the piece would go there, even if it would have to have clipped through another block if the rotation were smoothly animated instead of a sharp 90-degree snap. This enables some surprisingly nuanced gameplay, so instead of being patched out it was promoted to an actual feature. (I'm sure the fact that patching it out would have been hard probably also had something to do with it.)

Clearing a line with a T-spin counts for twice as many points and twice as much multiplayer trash. This means that the most valuable move in the game is a T-spin triple: if you slip a T piece into a hole that lets it clear three lines at once, it's worth 1.5x as much as a Tetris.

The T-spin technique can be used with any block (except O, because O blocks don't meaningfully rotate) but only T gives a bonus.

Coda 08-14-2019 01:34 PM

GEEZ, the jstris community is way better than the Tetris 99 community. I've not done better than 2nd place.

Espy 08-14-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coda (Post 1900619)
This means that the most valuable move in the game is a T-spin triple: if you slip a T piece into a hole that lets it clear three lines at once, it's worth 1.5x as much as a Tetris.

There's... no way to do that legally, though...?

Coda 08-14-2019 05:13 PM

T-spin doubles are easy to explain. Imagine this setup:

XX*
X.**X
XX*XX
XXXXX

If you rotate right, the T will snap into place and clear two lines. (If you rotate LEFT it'll snap down too but it'll only clear one line and leave a blocked-off hole... probably shouldn't do that.)

T-spin triples are definitely harder to spot if you don't know about them in advance. Here's the typical setup:

XX*
X***
X.XX
X..X
X.XX
XXXX

If you rotate clockwise here, the only valid place for the piece to come to rest would be inside the T-shaped hole.

(EDIT: Finally got a 1st place.)

Stabbsworth 08-29-2019 12:17 PM

welp, time to play jstris and give it a go. maybe get addicted to it, who knows.