Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Art & Writing (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   NaNoWriMo anyone? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9569)

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 12:41 PM

It was just a thought. The only thing the set up does is time the word war. I never watch the screen or chat when I'm in the middle of the word war. I agree, that can be too distracting.

But written kitten or write or die don't motivate me as much as the friendly competition of a word war.

Death by Mirrors 11-03-2017 03:55 PM

650 in 20 minutes counts as medium? *backs out slowly*

I can do 1200 words per hour on a good day, but it's usually more around 1000. Less if the result is supposed to be decent too.

Coda 11-03-2017 04:20 PM

I suppose a lot of it has to do with typing speed. I can sustain 90+ words per minute typing speed if I don't have to put too much effort into thinking about what I'm typing. (I can break 120wpm if I'm really focusing on typing fast and I already know what I'm writing, but that's not so effective when I'm trying to combine it with creativity. More useful for transcription.)

So if I more or less already know what I'm writing, I could theoretically write a whole day's quota worth in a 20-minute span. This is of course a big precondition. :P I can't sustain that, especially if I'm still figuring out the story.

Claire Bear 11-03-2017 04:48 PM

I think my biggest struggle is figuring out the story. I type pretty fast once I know what I'm doing.

trystan830 11-03-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire Bear (Post 1815068)
I think my biggest struggle is figuring out the story. I type pretty fast once I know what I'm doing.

ME!!

Coda 11-03-2017 05:34 PM

I think that's true of most authors. It certainly applies to me as well.

Quiet Man Cometh 11-03-2017 06:16 PM

I got inspired last night and actually wrote out a few lines in my writing journal at 3 am. I'll add that to my word count today, once I get it typed up.

My best year was when I was doing stream of consciousness, and it was great fun, but haven't done near as well since. Last year's nano for me was editing that original mass.

My area (which encompasses pretty much all of my province that isn't Victoria or Vancouver) does have virtual write-ins, but I like being social now and then as I spend so much time at home. I'm snowed in though. Probably shouldn't try to drive in tonight, either. Bah.

Death by Mirrors 11-03-2017 06:21 PM

Uh, I think my typing speed isn't that bad, but my... thinking speed? If I write as fast as I'm able to type and just jot down the first thing of whatever comes to my mind, the story which unfolds in front of me consists entirely of pluperfect tense and nearly every second word is an adjective.

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 06:49 PM

Add me to the list of typing much faster when I know what to say. I can get my 1667 words generally in 1 1/2 hours. That includes part of that time where you are staring at the screen brain dead. :P

Quiet - every region has some in person write ins. They may not be close by, but if you post about wanting to get together with people in your area, you might just be able to set up a write in on your own. It's so much fun IMO to have that blend of socialization with focused writing.

trystan830 11-03-2017 07:35 PM

so i only have 745 words written so far today.... but i'm done chapter 19!!

(did i post my checklist in this thread? *scrolls up*)

edit - yep, back in post 217. so, i can now check off #2!!

ZenKitty 11-03-2017 08:17 PM

Yay Trys!

I didn't get my recommended daily word count, but I was ahead from last night's write in so I'm right on track with my word count.

Plus the all day write in tomorrow will definitely give me at a minimum 5K words.

trystan830 11-03-2017 08:19 PM

i kinda have an all-day write in tomorrow too - i'm off from work! XD

Quiet Man Cometh 11-03-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenKitty (Post 1815110)
Quiet - every region has some in person write ins. They may not be close by, but if you post about wanting to get together with people in your area, you might just be able to set up a write in on your own. It's so much fun IMO to have that blend of socialization with focused writing.

I think you're misinterpreting my situation. There are local write-ins in my city. It just takes me at least 20 minutes to get to said city on a good day because I live in a rural area. If I go out in the evening, with the snow and ice there's a risk that I might not be able to make the return drive up the necessary hills to get back home.

Coda 11-03-2017 10:11 PM

Well, time to figure out what to write next. I have like 20 scenes at least vaguely sketched out in my head but I don't know where to start.

trystan830 11-03-2017 10:16 PM

Coda - that's the joy of working on a computer and non-linearly. just pick one and start!

*in the middle of finishing chapter 20, which up until recently was called "Last Chapter" because i started writing it when i was somewhere in the middle of the story....*

Coda 11-03-2017 11:34 PM

I mean yes, but I don't really know where to start any of them, I only know what's going to happen during them.