Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Games & Tech (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   New Mobo Win7 issue (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17800)

Ducky 04-19-2013 05:00 PM

New Mobo Win7 issue

So, recently my motherboard up and died on me for what ever reason. I have now bought and replaced the motherboard, and the CPU while i was at it.
The issue being windows can no longer load due to only having the drivers for the old motherboard. At least that's how i understand it from a bit if google searching. the system is originally a pre-built deal, so I don't own a disk/license.

My question is this. Is there any way for me to acquire Windows 7 again and get a new key legally, without simply buying it again? Since technically it's still the same system it was bought for.. or.. something. yeah.

Coda 04-19-2013 05:13 PM

Yes. You just have to call Microsoft support and let them know that you replaced a failed motherboard and they'll give you a new activation key. It's really pretty painless, just kinda time-consuming.

Ducky 04-19-2013 05:16 PM

Ah, okay, that doesn't seem bad at all. Thanks!

How about the lack of any kind of installation disk? do i have to get a download somewhere, and burn that onto a disk to boot from?

Coda 04-19-2013 05:43 PM

My first suggestion is to see if you can get it booted into Safe Mode long enough to get the drivers. Theoretically you were supposed to have burned a recovery disk before your computer failed. You can get someone else to burn one if you have to.

Ducky 04-19-2013 06:05 PM

It wont boot into safe mode at all. select it, it begins to load then errors out and restarts. error 0X0000007B, missing bootdrive.

Coda 04-19-2013 06:22 PM

Huh. That's a new one to me. Well, see if you can find someone else with Win7 that can make you a recovery disk.

Ducky 04-20-2013 01:44 PM

I have another, probably stupid, question. Do you require a working version of the previous windows if you were to upgrade to Windows 8. I have a friend who has a spare Windows 8 upgrade thing. is it at all possible to just use that disk to do a clean install of 8, although my windows 7 is broken..

I'm pretty computer illiterate, if you hadn't guessed >_>

Coda 04-21-2013 03:48 PM

No, the upgrade check will be able to see it's on the hard drive, even if it can't boot.

Ducky 04-21-2013 07:02 PM

That's perfect then, assuming windows 8 isnt awful? Not heard much about it myself

Coda 04-21-2013 10:54 PM

It's... messy. It has some advantages over 7 but the experience changes so much that you'll get REALLY annoyed about it until you get used to it, at which point it's still an inferior experience to Win7 but you can deal with it.

Ducky 04-22-2013 03:33 AM

As long as you can get rid of the stupid touch/panel home screen thing and just have a regular desktop I think I world be okay.

So if I went and did the update, rather than a clean install I could also save all my data?

Coda 04-22-2013 10:02 AM

You can't get rid of the touch panel home screen. You can set the default UI back to desktop mode, but you still get the home screen instead of the start menu.

Ducky 04-22-2013 02:37 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant. As long as I can have desktop mode most the time ill be happy

Adrian Cuyler 05-17-2013 03:47 PM

Just use the same key you used before.