Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   2021 Reading Challenge (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24204)

trystan830 01-02-2021 08:44 PM

2021 Reading Challenge

hi again!!!

i set myself a reading challenge every year, which is to read more books than the previous year. 2017 was the first year i did this on Trisphee, (i had a great time! thanks Moonshadow!) and i started hosting this in 2018. it's great fun ... so here we are again!

so, (snagging from previous threads), set a challenge for yourself: read 50 books, read only the books you have at home that you haven't read yet, read a specific genre, read only non-fiction books... whatever you choose.

Your first post should contain your challenge, and use a spoiler to indicate how you are progressing in meeting that challenge. i use a spoiler for my booklist. =)

Please feel free to chat about books, your day, anything!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...g?v=1411837338

trystan830 01-02-2021 08:45 PM

List of members who are joining our 2021 Reading Challenge

trystan830
Kaderin Triste

(each name links to their challenge post)

trystan830 01-02-2021 08:46 PM

reserved... just 'cause it's good to have another post reserved. as soon as i don't reserve one, i'll need it for something.... right, Murphy? XD

trystan830 01-02-2021 08:47 PM

my reading challenge: in 2020, i read 36 books - my goal is to read more than that!

for my information:

Kaderin Triste 01-02-2021 10:48 PM

Woohoo! New year, new list!

trystan830 01-02-2021 10:50 PM

i'm still working on Defending the Galaxy - the first book i finished in 2020 was Chasing the Shadows - book 2 in the same series! XD

Kaderin Triste 01-04-2021 02:36 PM

I'm still working on Kafka on the Shore.
Though I don't think I'd added that to my 2020 list. Or the other 2 that I'd finished in December.

Need to find my list for this year that I wrote down and see if I want to change it any before putting the books onto my online list.
XP

trystan830 01-04-2021 03:34 PM

you can still go back and add stuff you finished in 2020 to your list there.

i'm really annoyed at... whatever, i guess myself. i can't find the copy of The Alienist that i found at a library book sale. it's not on any of my bookshelves. o_O *sigh*

Kaderin Triste 01-04-2021 10:07 PM

Yeah...I'm too lazy to update last year's list. It's not like it really makes a huge difference now. XD

Oh no! Hopefully it turns up and isn't actually gone! O.O

trystan830 01-04-2021 10:41 PM

eh, fair enough.

actually i found it! it was right next to my Sidney Sheldon books XD

trystan830 01-06-2021 01:51 PM

finished Defending the Galaxy by Maria V. Snyder yesterday! woot!

on to You, the book they made the tv show off of. XD

Kaderin Triste 01-12-2021 12:40 AM

Lol. Found a "classic literature recommendations for every Hogwarts house" post while browsing Instagram and laughed super hard because I'm a ravenclaw and half of the books on the ravenclaw list I've either read, tried to read/am working on reading or are on my "want to read" list. XD

trystan830 01-12-2021 12:49 AM

oh that IS funny! do you have a link or name of the account? i'm also Ravenclaw. :)

Kaderin Triste 01-12-2021 01:00 AM

I don't know how to share posts outside of insta, so I sent it to you on there. XD

trystan830 01-12-2021 01:03 AM

yep, i got it.

lol, i've read books on all those reading lists!

Kaderin Triste 01-12-2021 01:06 AM

I've read at least 1 on all the lists. Mostly because they were books we read in English class. XD
But Ravenclaw is the one I've read or want to read the most of. With hufflepuff being a close second. Lol

trystan830 01-12-2021 01:27 AM

i've read 2 on the Gryffindor and Slytherin lists, and have one from Slytherin on my to-read list. (i mean, i've read 3 from Slytherin, if you count reading the Prince waaaaay back in high school! X )

i've read 3-1/2 on the Hufflepuff list. couldn't finish the 1/2. couldn't even get into it. (Love in the time of Cholera)

i've read 3 (maybe 4) on the Ravenclaw list, with one on my want-to-read list. (i'm pretty sure i've read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

this is the link - https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ5A_9aA7Yq/ - but i'm pretty sure you need to be logged into in insta to be able to scroll through

trystan830 01-14-2021 06:33 PM

and i finished You by Caroline Kepnes! :)

Kaderin Triste 01-16-2021 06:16 PM

...was going to work on my currently in progress book...instead started a different on on Thurs. Lol
But only because the wip book was in my bag in the bedroom, but I was in the living room next to my bookcase. So I grabbed the first book of a trilogy. I've read the book before, but never finished the series as the library in my home town hadn't had the other 2 books when I first read it.

trystan830 01-16-2021 06:19 PM

i realised when i finally start reading Poldark, one of the books in the middle is NOT at my library system. i might have to put in a Purchase Suggestion when i check out the book right before it.

i also have 7 books on hold at the library. i wonder if i won't get them all in at once. XD

Kaderin Triste 01-16-2021 06:26 PM

Oh you and your large number of holds!
XD

I have no books on hold, but do still need to take a good number of books back. I forgot to get them to the library a couple weeks ago, but thankfully, one of my friends works there so he renewed them all for me. I'll have to make an effort to get them back next week though.

trystan830 01-16-2021 07:54 PM

hehehe.....

i'm hoping to get two in a timely fashion.

the others are quite popular.

Den 01-20-2021 02:55 PM

Today, I read The Weller, and The Weller: Fear of the Dark. Both are by a friend of mine, Adam J. Whitlatch. Both stories are set in the Midwest, in Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri.

trystan830 01-20-2021 03:08 PM

while i'm in the middle of reading my own book, i get an email that two holds are available at the library for pick up. well, i have two weeks to get them, so there's that...

i might get one later today or tomorrow though.

Kaderin Triste 01-25-2021 05:28 PM

Am gonna try to finish 1 book tonight/tomorrow since it's probably getting close to being due back at the library soon...

trystan830 01-25-2021 08:55 PM

i got Hidden Bodies, the sequal to You (and season 2 of the netflix show) from the library today. i'll update my sig once i start reading it XD

Kaderin Triste 01-26-2021 11:29 PM

Woohoo! I finished my first book of the year! Which means that, so far, I am on track with my goal of 12 books. Still need to update the page count and progress of the other book on my list though.

trystan830 01-26-2021 11:50 PM

woo hoo!

I'm reading Hidden Bodies - it's the sequel to You (and S2 of the tv show You XD )

trystan830 02-04-2021 11:17 AM

i've finished Hidden Bodies, and now i'm reading the Once and Future Witches. i have 7 books on my library hold list, but three of them are still on order.

the one i've been waiting the longest on is Fortune & Glory, #27 from Janet Evanovich. my note on my phone says i put it on hold at the end of August, and it was published at the beginning of November. (but that's not entirely right - it was one of the holds i'd suspended due to NaNo, so i guess it's only been on hold since like November 23rd or so. maybe i ought to update that....) XD

Den 02-15-2021 03:02 AM

I keep meaning to get The Weller: Night of the Cicada read, but I keep getting distracted. Same with Birthright: Book 1 of the Temujin Saga. Both are also by my friend, Adam.

trystan830 02-15-2021 02:35 PM

oh that's very cool, Den!
welcome to this year's thread! let me know if you want me to link your post as your challenge thread or not. :)

trystan830 02-18-2021 04:48 PM

finished the Once and Future Witches. wow! that was a good one! :)

on to Leave the World Behind, i'm pretty sure i heard it mentioned on WHYY, which is also my local npr station :)

Kaderin Triste 02-20-2021 12:59 PM

Lol. Best station name/letters ever!
XD

Updated my list with the book I started earlier in the month, but have been busy crafting (and playing animal crossing) and haven't read much the last few weeks tbh.

trystan830 02-20-2021 08:15 PM

i know, right? WHYY is the local NPR on the radio and PBS on the tv :D

goodreads says i'm two books ahead of schedule in my challenge. we see out that goes through the year, right? XD

trystan830 02-24-2021 11:27 AM

finished reading Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam.

not sure how i feel about an open ended end..... however, the book seemed to be a good read for 2020 and the pandemic. i mean, i did request it back in the fall before NaNo.... but it was a new book in the fall, so it took some time for me to get the book in the first place.

i still have two books that have been on hold for seemingly forever - Tantalizing Twenty-Seven from Janet Evanovich, and Ready Player Two from Ernest Cline. hmm.... i'm going to go with i might have them over the summer sometime? XD

trystan830 03-02-2021 10:11 PM

so..... Tantalizing Twenty-Seven by Janet Evanovich, and Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline? i got an email that they're ready for pickup at the library!

but i just picked up the Desolations of Devil's Acre - book 6 in the Peculiar Children series - because that was ready for me the other day.

LOL.
i've got a plan for all these books. *nods*

trystan830 03-18-2021 10:17 PM

two weeks later.....

i think i'm talking to myself?

i finished Ready Player Two.... as well as Desolations of Devil's Acre and Tantalizing Twenty-Seven, and now i'm reading Travel Light by Naomi Mitchison. it was mentioned in This is How You Lose the Time War. it's a fairy tale/fantasy/YA story. i've only read chapter 1, but i think i'm going to see if i can order it from a local bookstore. :)

Kaderin Triste 03-23-2021 09:09 PM

Er...sorry, I have no knowledge, and thus, nothing to say really, about the books you're reading...
*shrug*

Am pleased to announce that I finished anither book last week and am still on pace for my one book per month goal and have started another book tonight.

Have sort of gotten into a schedule of bringing a book to read at work on Tuesdays and a craft project to work on on Saturdays. Because it's dead. So when the boss is gone, I can get away with it. >.>

trystan830 03-23-2021 11:36 PM

eh, fair enough. it's my thread, i can talk to myself XD

i decided i want to own Travel Light, so i ordered it from my local bookstore, it should be in by Friday, but i hope it's thursday, since i'm only like 2 minutes away from the store mon-thurs. - it's down the street from my office job.

i'm now reading The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. it's very wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey. it was called The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle in england, where it was first published, but they had to change it here because there's already another book called The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. yeesh.

trystan830 04-08-2021 11:04 AM

i'm finally reading The Invisible Life of Addy LaRue by V.E. Schwab! i requested it at the same time as The Once and Future Witches, but it apparently had a MUCH longer wait list XD