Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Games & Tech (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Table-Top RPGs! (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3879)

SanePsycho 02-14-2011 05:12 AM

Table-Top RPGs!

Here's gaming of a whole different sort! Dungeons & Dragons, GURPS, World of Darkness, and so on.

Does anyone else here play these sorts of games? If so, let's hear about some of your characters, memorable events that took place during your groups gaming sessions, or how it all got started for you!

As for me, I began when I was sophomore in high school. Some friends of mine were talking about it during lunch and I was interested. They invited me to play in their next session, and I gotta say, it was some of the most fun I had during my high school years. I still game every chance I get. It's a great way to bring my ideas to life, interacting with my friends' characters, and I love seeing where the stories take us. There's always adventure around every corner!

So please, share your stories, or if you're interested in table-top gaming feel free to ask questions. I look forward to hearing them! ^_^

Jurinjo 02-14-2011 04:25 PM

Never ever played them, I have been slightly interested for years until I found Weregeek and now I definitely want to play xD

Pisces 02-15-2011 11:13 AM

D&D!

I recently starting playing D&D last year around September. A friend of mine wanted to start a D&D group, I was itnerested, and thus it started. THe first campaign my friend DM'd the game, but after his finished, he lent me the books and we're currently in the middle of my own campaign. It's my first run as the DM, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

My group is really zany. Nothing is every going to go as planned, lol, and that's not a bad thing. I love how they surprise me and force me to change things and mix them up.

SanePsycho 02-15-2011 02:36 PM

Haha, you can always count on player unpredictability!

One of my friends managed to kill off one of the main villains, who was at level 20 while he and the party were only level one. While the villain was monologue-ing he rolled three crits in a row and stabbed him with his lightsaber.

That player in particular pulls off some of the strangest stunts/sidequests and he leaves the rest of us rolling off our seats in laughter! xD

Pisces 02-15-2011 06:02 PM

I remember, when my boyfriend was still DM'ing, one particular player who is like that saved us from fighting a hydra. He rolled high by luck and managed to save up by jumping into the hydra's throat, making it gag, and we rode out of the room on a wave of hydra vomit.

SanePsycho 02-16-2011 01:10 AM

Oh wow, that sounds...tasty? Vomit surfing.. xD Ahh, I can just imagine it, and the giggles will not stop!

Pisces 02-16-2011 10:40 AM

Our DM took pity on us and gave us a random, underground stream in the next room to heal and wash off the grossness. XD

Jenny Harper 02-18-2011 03:57 PM

My first experience of DnD was at one of my birthday parties. My now wife made characters and we tried to play but no-one was playing.

I am now part of three people playing DnD, with one DM and it's really fun. I have a rogue and a cleric. We did our first session the other day and will be doing another one tomorrow, it's brilliant.

Our DM is...hilarious to say the least. He does bit players and such that are funny and his Paladin just falls flat on his face all the time. It's got the technical side of having the dice rolls, but it's not too serious.

SanePsycho 02-22-2011 06:14 PM

It's been difficult for our group to game on a regular basis, lately. Its understandable and all since some of them work and have school, and whatnot. I just miss the days when we would game during the day, throughout the entire night, nap for a few hours, then start again. Ahh, summer. xD

I miss D&D too. Our group has been playing a lot of GURPS for a while and we just recently started a Scion game to get out of the GURPS lull.

Lost 03-22-2011 12:37 PM

I started playing D&D with some friends of mine when I moved in with them. We haven't played as much as I wish we did but I work a lot too. And since I moved out in December I haven't seen much of them.

Some of our sessions were awesome though. Suplex-ing baby dragons. Running around Med. size dragons while they do a barrel roll. Go on a trip through the trollmores from the books.

The stories could be endless. BUT my fathers' stories are sooo much better than mine. He started playing back when it first came out. Has most of the version 1 & version 2 books. Stopped really buying them then, but thats cause his group got separated (work/school/life/etc). I asked him to get back into it so he could DM for us. Since then he is memorizing the 3.5 books and I fear writing us one hell of a campaign.

I want to get into more of these games. I wish I had time for it. I'm a big gamer as it is. I own all the consoles (wii, xbox360, ps3) And I'm starting to get really into boardgames and cardgames. I own most the munchkin sets already, and theres this game called SPANC thats supper fun, but all the Steve Jackson games are quite fun.

It would be easier to get into more roleplaying sort of games if I had more friends that played them. I've got my own place now but I'm only really free late at night. As most of my friends don't want to start playing that late I normally miss out.

<.>;;;
I might have gotten a little of topic
sorry~

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 12:57 PM

Oh, no worries, no worries. ^_^

I've never actually heard of SPANC. I looked it up and it looks like it'd be great to play. Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls. Yeah, that's something my group would play in a heartbeat! xD Is it similar in gameplay to Munchkin?

Lost 03-22-2011 01:05 PM

Kinda similar.
It's a four player game at max.
Each person gets four catgirls
Each cat girl has 4 stats [SP] [A] [N] [C]
Theres challenge cards and your trying to get a total of 10 loot
Theres four challenge cards to a round and you get loot from the challenges or from completing the round. Each challenge as one of the stats on it and you try to roll the dice and beat the challenge.
You get toys and poolboys to power up your catgirls. One toy per girl except for your captain.

My roommates and I haven't figured out everything yet.
But I only just got it a few days ago.
Its really quite simple and is something you should look into.
When I was talking about it with the guy at the store he said it was a "made for girls" game. But really I think he was wrong, but Frank is a pretty cool guy. Gave me some ideas on some other games I should by soon.

Have you ever played Killer Bunnies?
Everytime I go in a game store I wanna know if its any good cause it always looks like so much fun.

....oki so maybe not so similar?
xD

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 01:11 PM

Oh wow... The jokes for that game practically write themselves! Yeah, I'll definitely have look into it.

No, I've never heard of it. I just looked it up, and it seems like its an extremely weird version of Magic: The Gathering, or any other card battle game.

Lost 03-22-2011 01:16 PM

The jokes do write themselves!
xD

The challenge cards are funny too.
They add to the jokes writing themselves~

I think there is one where you make your own decks and then a different type of game
-sigh-
its confusing.
I got the killer bunny game game
not the deck building one
it was the main game and the first expansion.
I haven't tried to play it yet though.
I really should get on that.

How about the card game "We didn't play test this at all"
Its best with a large number of people. The more people the more fun you'll have. I played it up at college and didn't realize it wasn't really good for small groups of people. It just wasn't as fun with just 4 people.
>.<

Serra Britt 03-22-2011 01:25 PM

I used to have a group I played DnD with but that was a long long time ago. Plus I just don't have the time to invest in it anymore. But it was a lot of fun and being humorous was the best part xD
RPG-type card games are fun too, the one I've played the most was "Munchkin" which was a real treat and super funny as long as you don't take the backstabbing too seriously :P

Lost 03-22-2011 01:26 PM

Which Munchkin Game did you play Serra?

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 01:26 PM

Never heard of that one either, but it does look interesting. I'll have to go downtown and see if we have any of those games up here.

Lost 03-22-2011 01:30 PM

-giggles-
I'm full of useless game titles
Really I'm quite happy for the game stores I have around here.
Ones within walking distance of my apartment.
^.^;

Theres one Steve Jackson card game I really want to try right now.
"Burn in Hell"
It just look so interesting.
Its on my list to buy.

As well as the many versions of FLUX...
But the flux games would probably be better with a ton of people just like the we didn't play test this games.
=.=;;

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 01:38 PM

Oh jeez, I'm gonna have to keep a list. xD Burn in Hell looks funny!

It get's pretty bad in Munchkin when the entire table gangs up on you. Ahh, good times. xD

Lost 03-22-2011 01:45 PM

Gawd I hate that!
I'm always the first to 9 and they all jump me!
I never get the cards to screw any of them over either.
So they screw me over about 5 times and then one of them wins.
I hate it!

Have you played all the different sets yet?

You might have to keep a list. Mine keeps getting bigger thats for sure.
I go to the store and go "ooooh shiny"
>////>

It's just bad.
I really want to get into Mutants & Masterminds
buuut
I don't have a set group that I roleplay with.
I REALLY have to get one.
Then I'll go blow my free cash on the books and it would be sooo much fun

Most of my list is card games sadly.
Less you want to get into video games too...

How about "Are you a Werewolf?"
Its been a while since I've played that one and I don't own it yet. I just remember it being a lot of fun

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 01:56 PM

Manage to beat the Gazebo? No! You get slaughtered by random wandering monster!

Nah. We've only placed Munchkin and Cthulu Munchkin. We did have Munchkin Impossible, but we never actually played it, and we lost most of the cards.

One of our stores recently got into table-top games. Most likely to not be overshadowed by the GameStop we just got here.

Oooh, Mutants & Masterminds looks great! Our group has been wanting to do a super hero/villain type game for a long time, but we haven't been able to. We'd only would have been able to run it in GURPS, but we've been trying to take a break from that.

Most the card games I play, other than Munchkin, are things like Magic: The Gathering and Yugioh. Oh, we can get into video games too. I enjoy gaming of all sorts!!

No, I haven't heard of that one either. xD

Lost 03-22-2011 02:02 PM

I've never played GURPS...
Actually I don't even know what it is
x.x;

If its the one my roommate was talking about something about a world of hulks.
-confused-

I love Magic.
I was really into it for the longest time
I own far to many cards for my own good.
Never really got into the card game for yugioh but a lot of my friends did
Munchkin Fu is awesome.
Actually most of them are really good.
I don't like Super Munchkin though.

I really wish I had money to buy "Aye Dark Overlord!" today
I sounds awesome
And yes now I'm looking at my local stores web page.
Which is a bad idea...
God my list is just going to explode.

Favorite system for video games?

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 02:15 PM

GURPS is another Steve Jackson game. It stands for Generic Universal Role Playing System. You build the characters on a program. Everyone starts with a certain amount of points, and you use those to set character stats, skills, advantages/powers. You also get a certain amount of disadvantages and quirks. While adding a bit more personality to your character, it also gives you a few more points to work with. It's really fun, and you can run almost any kind of campaign with it.

I haven't played either very much lately. When we used to play Magic, we would do 3-way games and it would last for hours. It got really bad when it would cut into our other gaming time. ^_^;;

*adds to the list* xD

A lot of great games are out for the 360, and there are plenty more to come. So, yeah. 360 it is. At least for this generation of consoles. I still really love my GameCube! :3

Lost 03-22-2011 02:19 PM

That sounds interesting.
I wonder if theres a campaign going on at the store...
They have a bunch of tables in the back and have all sorts of events
I'll have to look into it.

I loves my 360 as well.
My first system was my ps2
soo...
I didn't ever have a gamecube
my mother didn't like videogames...
my father never agreed with her tho
^.^;

hm...
I really liked Fable 2 but Fable 3 was a let down.
I just got dragon age 2 but haven't even opened it yet.
actually its been a while since I touched any of my systems.
The last game I played was Forklore for the ps3

SanePsycho 03-22-2011 02:32 PM

Haha, I suppose I got lucky then. xP My dad usually comes to me when he needs to know anything about a game or a system. He really loves is FPS. My mom... Well, she plays Pokemon Pinball on my old SP. Takes all the high scores too. xDD

Haven't gotten to play Fable 3, and only a little of Fable 2. (I only got my 360 a month ago.) I beat Dragon Age 2 a couple of days ago. The game is great, but its kinda on the glitchy side. Nothing too serious, just annoying.

Dun play much PS3. My cousin owns one and the most we all play together is the Naruto games. It's really fun, even if we get a lil over competitive. ^_^;;

Serra Britt 03-22-2011 08:54 PM

@Lost I played Munchkin 1-4, Munchkin Fu, and Space Munchkin, and then a crazy game with them all combined using Munchkin Blender. It's super fun especially with more people available.
Favorite system is really hard as I play a wide variety of games. The games are more fun than the actual system...though I've been on PS2 a lot lately :3
I'd love to play more tabletop games but I don't have a nearby community to play with, plus lack of time really...it's tough :/

Lost 03-23-2011 01:55 AM

Serra; I own most the munchkin games now. I'm only missing 3 of them. [impossible, good/bad/munchkin, and star munchkin]
I really love them
They make me sooo happy inside.
^.^

I really gotta hook up my ps2 again.
I've got some games I really have to finish
>.<;;

Sane;
I really love my 360. I've got more games for that system then any other.
I've got a game buying obsession
I tend to go out and buy hundreds of dollars of games a month
x.x

Oh my god;
I was in one of my local games stores today and theres a ton of roleplaying games I want now
I have to find a group to play with... badly.

SanePsycho 03-23-2011 01:44 PM

I've got a few PS2 games that need playing too, but sadly, no PS2. x_x

Right now, there are only two games on my list that I'd love to buy. They dun get released til later this year, but I'm still really excited about them. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and Mass Effect 3. And I still wanna play the DLCs for Oblivion and Mass Effect 1&2.

I really could go for a good gaming session too... *twitch*

Lost 03-23-2011 09:33 PM

I haven't looked at preorder lists in a while..
>.>;;

I would want to many of them
I can't wait for portal 2~ <3

You haven't gamed in a while?
Why are you in need of a good gaming session?

SanePsycho 03-24-2011 04:57 PM

I almost forgot about Portal 2 til I saw a commercial for it last night! Still need to play the first one all the way through, too.

Ah, I think I'm just complaining for no reason, that's all. There's been a lot going on with all of us. It's understandable. It's just nice to hang out with everyone, especially since none of us like being cooped up at home. xP

Lost 03-24-2011 05:05 PM

I glitched portal soooo bad!
-giggles-

I can't wait for the next one
I needed help with beating the last part... well 'needed help' meaning i died so much that someone took over for me
-sigh-

Its oki to complain
I miss my friends and hanging out playing games and stuff
I wish I could do it more but alas work is what i live for now or so it seems
xD

SanePsycho 03-25-2011 01:41 PM

I've seen a speed run of Portal, where the guy just bypasses all the beginning puzzles and skips straight to the end!

GLaDoS was awesome throughout the entire game. I watched a friend play through it, and she always amused me. The curiosity sphere at the end was great! 'Oh what's that? What's that? Eww, what's wrong with your legs?' xD

Well, at you've got a job. There's hardly any jobs here. It almost makes moving someplace else look appealing. x_x

Mizeria 03-29-2011 03:13 PM

I loved the robots "I don't blame you"
-giggles-
That was an awesome part of portal. Glados was awesome. Truly awesome.

Jobs are rare around here too
most seem to be fast food. Most my friends are looking for jobs, losing their jobs, or workin fast food.
x.x;

SanePsycho 03-29-2011 04:50 PM

One of the other orbs was giving a recipe for cake. Not one I would eat, but still, it was great to hear. xD

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now. Interviews are still going on where I applied, so hopefully I'll get lucky.

Ahh, gaming. Did a Jade Empire style game last night. Our group's third attempt at trying to run it. xD

Mizeria 03-29-2011 04:55 PM

I hope you get that job you want hon!
-keeps fingers crossed as well-

Jade Empire?
Third attempt?
Why is it so hard for you to play it?

SanePsycho 03-29-2011 05:04 PM

Thank you! ^_^

Our GM loves Jade Empire. He knows the game like the back of his hand.

We manage to get decently far in some of the past attempts, but a lot of the times those games ended up on the back burner. Usually because other ideas take over and we all jump on board that game, or we just don't play often enough, or our players end up leaving the game for various reasons.

Mizeria 03-29-2011 05:07 PM

Awww
I hate when that happens.
My main GM went in and out of depression so our games were like Every night for a week then no games for two months
-sigh-

I really do have to find another group
>.<

SanePsycho 03-29-2011 05:10 PM

Aww, that's happened before with one of our GMs too. x_x

There's always store run groups you could look into. But then would you be comfortable joining a group you just met?

Mizeria 03-29-2011 05:16 PM

Nope probably not.
I tend to be a loner... So I'm not really out going enough to be comfortable to just join a group that I don't know.
So. Unless I got some of my friends to go to (which is hard to do since we can't get together because of the different schedules) I don't think I would join the store run groups.

SanePsycho 03-29-2011 05:18 PM

Ahh, see? This is where we need tech like the kinds they have in anime like Ghost in the Shell. Just run a nice gaming session with fellow Trisphites inside our own heads!