Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central Square (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "You can't identify as (insert) if you..." (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24099)

Kory 03-18-2020 07:50 PM

It bugs me to hell that it seems many POC (or at least my black family) think that being called "white" should be an insult.

I was on set with an all-black cast once and the cameraman and a friend of the "director" kept calling me "white girl" and making jokes about my skin being "light".

At first, it made me feel bad... but then I realized. Yeah. I guess if you want to be technical, I AM white. And what's the problem in that?! I never understood why they act like it's a bad thing to be white. As if they are better than me for being more black?

Quote:

...but I'm somehow still cute, dammit... >_<;
You're definitely 1000% cute, Merskelly :)

I didn't realize that gatekeeping is also a huge issue in sexual identity. I used to associate with ace because sexual intimacy... I just didnt like it. But I knew a woman who was always adamant that I wasn't ace because according to her, Ace meant XYZ. (won't get into the details, but I think we all know what those are) and since I still did Y, that that meant I was not ace and would never be ace...
I googled "Asexuality" and showed her that ace can be different things for different people by sharing with her a quote on it.

She quickly tried to backpedal when she realized that she was being .. I'm so so sorry, friends... words escape me right now. But you know what I mean? She was extremely judgmental and unaccepting.

If I'm being really honest here,
I don't see the point in labels... All they do is divide us as a human race.

Den 03-18-2020 10:05 PM

I like labels, because I like having words to describe things I feel/identify with. But I get that not everyone feels that way.

Coda 03-18-2020 11:35 PM

Labels are fine as long as everyone understands they're necessarily-imprecise shorthand. It's when they fail to facilitate communication that there's a problem.

Stabbsworth 03-19-2020 10:31 AM

i use the word 'queer' as a label because it's easier than going into every single aspect of my gender identity and sexuality. how to tell someone in shorthand that you're transmasculine but also nonbinary, along w/ essentially being a demiboy?

Merskelly Metalien 03-21-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ava (Post 1938212)

You're definitely 1000% cute, Merskelly :)

-~-; It is a curse. *shrugs hopelessly* I can't turn it off.
:/ I'm doomed to be cute no matter how hard I try to make myself un-cute. It's just a self-accepted fact of life now, o-o I was born cute, and unfortunately I'll die cute. =_=; I'll probably be in a hospital gown with fuzzy socks, a head flower and look like a smol, quiet, halloween decoration. x}

Death by Mirrors 03-22-2020 12:38 PM

To be fair it's quite the challenge to not look cute when wearing fuzzy socks and a head flower.

Merskelly Metalien 03-22-2020 12:51 PM

/:] I think, if you're not cute, you just look silly that way. <x} Lol, I have no idea. I've only ever been un-cute in dreams.

Death by Mirrors 03-29-2020 04:58 AM

Silly is a matter of not being entirely convinced of yourself. Take a look at the Rocky Horror Picture Show (original, darling) - with costumes like that you either believe in yourself 100% or you might as well already go home.

Merskelly Metalien 03-29-2020 06:46 PM

I somehow know exactly what you mean, despite never having seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show, hahaha!
<X'D