Trisphee

Trisphee (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Favorite literature quotes~? (http://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2024)

contrabandturtlekitty 08-21-2015 08:12 PM

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”-G.K.Chesterton its a quote not out of a book sadly but i wish it was in one x3

Quiet Man Cometh 09-23-2015 02:13 AM

I've started reading H.P. Lovecraft recently. I quite like this passage from the end of "The Festival."

Spoiler Alert, sort of. It is the last paragraph.

Quiet Man Cometh 02-05-2017 08:28 PM

Arise!

No really, I miss this thread. Re-read a lot of it last night. Must make up for some accidental repetition. (You, too, Suze!)

From the book I'm currently reading:

"He'd do alright as long as he didn't have to pick up a pen. The skinny little implements made him nervous. If he walked into a room, he knew where pens and pencils hid in drawers or behind cupboard doors. A bit of charcoal from the fire didn't bother him unless someone had made a mark with the black lump. And a paintbrush was just a paintbrush unless someone strayed from merely whitewashing walls and wrote on the faded siding."

- Donita K. Paul One Realm Beyond

Not necessarily "great literature" but as someone who is almost never without a pen, I find this passage fascinating.

Suzerain of Sheol 02-05-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh (Post 1755491)
(You, too, Suze!)

That is an offensive comma.

Here, have some mana-like wisdom from the hallowed Father of Deconstructivism himself.

Quote:

“Let us begin again. To take some examples: why should “literature” still designate that which already breaks away from literature—away from what has always been conceived and signified under that name—or that which, not merely escaping literature, implacably destroys it? (Posed in these terms, the question would already be caught in the assurance of a certain fore-knowledge: can “what has always been conceived and signified under that name” be considered fundamentally homogeneous, univocal, or nonconflictual?) To take other examples: what historical and strategic function should henceforth be assigned to the quotation marks, whether visible or invisible, which transform this into a “book,” or which still make the deconstruction of philosophy into a “philosophical discourse”?”

-Le Jacques Le Derrida Le Magnifique Le

All praise the metalanguage. There is no metalanguage.

Quiet Man Cometh 02-05-2017 10:44 PM

You sure that wasn't pulled from the post-modern essay generator?

Suzerain of Sheol 02-05-2017 11:34 PM

TFW you realize the po-mo generator is just Derrida quotes.

Quiet Man Cometh 02-05-2017 11:50 PM

I'd have to know who Derrida is, but I see your point. I have run myself into a circle, it would seem.

I'd put a quote down but all I have within reach at my library and information technology textbooks and Memories of Ice, and nothing immediately comes to mind from there.

Quiet Man Cometh 02-06-2017 10:39 PM

"One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more, Death thou shalt die."
- John Donne

vs.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
and with strange aeons even death my die."
- H. P. Lovecraft.

Who wins?

SparX 02-08-2017 10:39 PM

I'm not sure if it is my favorite, but it is the most often remembered quote....

“Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”
― Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Thanks Freshman lit class....

Suzerain of Sheol 02-09-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh (Post 1755604)
"One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more, Death thou shalt die."
- John Donne

vs.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
and with strange aeons even death my die."
- H. P. Lovecraft.

Who wins?

Not even close. Get that insipid, barely-veiled religious-derivative optimism out of here. Lovecraft wins by default. :P

Alistair Fawkes 02-13-2017 04:29 AM

All these deep-thinking fancy literature and philosophy quotes; full of high-fantasy and dark things. Here I come with my plebian Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

"Elementary, my dear Watson."

Fun Fact: Sherlock never said that line in any of those stories. Not once. But it's so famous.

Lawtan 02-13-2017 11:24 AM

“We are travelers on a cosmic journey,stardust,swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share.This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”
~The Alchemist

...there was a better quote, about matter, time, the Sun, Wind, and World...and one that essentially made the pursuit of science a sort of spiritual journey across generations. But I can't find it at this time.

Quiet Man Cometh 02-13-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzerain of Sheol (Post 1755940)
Not even close. Get that insipid, barely-veiled religious-derivative optimism out of here. Lovecraft wins by default. :P

I was more thinking of which idea is preferable, or more interesting. Death of death by ascendancy or death of death by...I'm not really sure.

Quiet Man Cometh 07-10-2018 01:22 AM

Not really a favourite quote but this one strikes me as being particularly poignant to the times:

"I'm often asked why I never spoke up. Why I didn't try to get Dahmer help. You have to remember, this was 1976. You never "narced" on a classmate. It simply wasn't done. Besides, my friends and I, we were just clueless small-town kids wrapped up in our own lives.

And none of us had a hint about what was really going on in his head.

A better question is...

Where were the damn adults?"

- My Friend Dahmer, Backderf (graphic novel)

bluebird 07-10-2018 06:58 PM

wow this thread is almost 8 years old
i'm trying to remember my favorite quotes from actual books but all i can remember are memes and web junk heLp

ok i remember one [excerpt] in the very back recesses of my mind

Espy 07-22-2018 03:29 AM

Oh. Oh wow. I didn’t even realize I made this thread until I went back to the first page. I thought this was a Quiet thread :|

Haven’t read much lately, unfortunately.